Another Soul - badly framed

User images created with StarTools.
fmeireso

Re: Another Soul - badly framed

Post by fmeireso »

Well Dietmar, i am not that convinced. Allthough ST makes it more 'digestable' imho, hence the reason I use it, but it remains challenging at times.
Much of it depends also on the stack. But most of us live in lightpolluted areas, bad skies,bad seeing which makes it all more difficult. On CN i sometimes process stacks from superb skies. It makes a great difference. Then one can have a nice picture in notime in Startools...
Then of course there is the method we use. I used to mix narrowband and broadband,maybe not the most easy way to go...but one can get results.. :)

Maybe i am not quickly pleased with myself and my processcing, perhaps. A deepskyfriend who likes photography told me that once. He maybe right.
But i always think there is room for improvement. However all these thoughts put aside, i enjoy it very much! I am surely not dissappointed!

About Startools, i really like it. I gives you a workflow and a kind of lead on how to start and to proceed. This is completely absent in PI. You don't know where to start, it has many subroutines and many many parametesr within the subs, let alone the terminlogie of it all. I use it too, but limited. I like it for stacking, it stacks like no other, aligning stacks is also a nobrainer, and you have some programs to evaluate subs.
But processing in PI...i leave it for what it is, at least for now.

Yes and i understand people are very helpfull here, and I am thankfull for that. I learned more things from people then from the books.

For me , capturing and all what goes with it ,poses less problems. Maybe that comes because i have a IT background. I reinstalled old laptops, replaced the disk, installed the software , configured it...i don't really recall any big issues with either hardware, mounts, guiding and stuff like that.
But processing took far more time and it still does ...but i kinda like it and afterall yo can't sit whole evenings behind the TV set can you? :D
fmeireso

Post by fmeireso »

dx_ron wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 2:47 pm That really is nice, even if not quite all of the Soul made it into the picture. I'd be really interested in hearing more about how you did the processing, because I have never been able to get ST to produce those nice blues with my duoband data.

Hmm, and still it should be possible at least with the Soul. I experimented a bit with HOO approach and i got a green/blue outcome. I discovered by just adjusting only the green in GIMP i allready got a very blue/red image. Realizing this i could have reduced the green in Startools itself imho...

This were the settings in the compose module
I extracted the red and blue/green first separatly on beforhehand

StarTools 1.9.551alpha
Fri Oct 13 20:18:21 2023
-----------------------------------------------------------
Loading red channel data
File loaded in LRGB module [Z:\20231009_IC1848_55x180_L_Enhance\Results\HOO\Red.tiff].
Loading green channel data
File loaded in LRGB module [Z:\20231009_IC1848_55x180_L_Enhance\Results\HOO\GreenBlue.tiff].
Loading blue channel data
File loaded in LRGB module [Z:\20231009_IC1848_55x180_L_Enhance\Results\HOO\GreenBlue.tiff].
--- Compose
Parameter [Luminance, Color] set to [L + Synthetic L From R(2xG)B, R(GB)(GB) (Bi-Color from OSC/DSLR)]
Parameter [Scene] set to [On]
Parameter [NB Accent Type] set to [Ha/S-II from NB filter]
Parameter [Spectrum and Filters] set to [Unspecified]
Parameter [UNKNOWN] set to [Widefield Nebula]
Parameter [Luminance Total Exposure] set to [Not Set]
Parameter [Blue Total Exposure] set to [1h00m (60m) (3600s)]
Parameter [Green Total Exposure] set to [Not Set]
Parameter [Red Total Exposure] set to [1h00m (60m) (3600s)]
Image size is 6224 x 4168

SoulHOO500kb.jpg
SoulHOO500kb.jpg (496.13 KiB) Viewed 18944 times
decay

Post by decay »

fmeireso wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 6:02 pm Then of course there is the method we use. I used to mix narrowband and broadband,maybe not the most easy way to go...
Of course, you're right, Freddy. I'm just doing broadband or NB and I don't have much experience mixing that. I saw all this fine images from for example Stefan and I thought most times processing would be similar easy than the processing of my broadband or NB datasets. Most probably I'm simply terribly wrong :D :roll: I remember Ivo explained some time ago how to use NB Acccent module in which cases and Stefan described his workflow(s) as well ...
fmeireso wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 6:02 pm Maybe i am not quickly pleased with myself and my processcing, perhaps.
And that's fine, I guess! It's the motivation to develop oneself and to get better.
fmeireso wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 6:02 pm i enjoy it very much! I am surely not dissappointed!
Great to hear :) Maybe I misunderstood some of your comments lately.
fmeireso wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 6:02 pm But processing took far more time and it still does ...but i kinda like it and afterall yo can't sit whole evenings behind the TV set can you? :D
For me it's often the other way round - my wife complains that I'm sitting in front of my PC processing my images instead of sitting beside her behind the TV :mrgreen: :D
Stefan B

Post by Stefan B »

Hi Freddy,

already very promising image. Great to see what you were able to pull out of the little time you had.

I also made the experience this year that it stayed often clear much longer than forecasted. So if it was forecasted to be clear until midnight I just hoped for the best and it often worked out.

Regards
Stefan
fmeireso

Post by fmeireso »

Well for now i got the framing right ..; :D

Just need to take more integration time a an color shot..
This is only again 55 frames of 3 minutes....i had 67 but i guess a night with bad seeing, so i rejected some...my FWHM was really bad at the end..
SoulGimp6 (Large).jpg
SoulGimp6 (Large).jpg (511.81 KiB) Viewed 18916 times
decay

Post by decay »

fmeireso wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 8:29 pm Well for now i got the framing right ..; :D
Congrats, Freddy! Well done :D :thumbsup: Yeah, sometimes things just need a second try.

I like the way you have managed to distribute the avaliable dynamic range using AutoDev, Contrast and probably HDR. Color balance is also great, and this shift towards blue is somehow easier for the eyes. Postprocessing bears the danger to reintroduce noise, and I guess this is why Ivo advised not to do any prostprocessing. But I admit, sometimes I do that too. But only for small corrections in brightness or gamma in order to get a better fit for different displays.

Best regards, Dietmar.
dx_ron

Post by dx_ron »

fmeireso wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 8:29 pm Well for now i got the framing right ..; :D

Just need to take more integration time a an color shot..
This is only again 55 frames of 3 minutes....i had 67 but i guess a night with bad seeing, so i rejected some...my FWHM was really bad at the end..

SoulGimp6 (Large).jpg
Already quite nice for less than 3 hours! Are you planning to add data?

Now - back to my 'blue problem' :? I have gimp and you can see one of my attempts at increasing the blue in the '3 images' thread. I don't get the result you do - do you mind sharing your secrets? What specific color manipulations you use - or maybe the secret is really still in ST and having a different starting point for gimp?
fmeireso

Post by fmeireso »

Yes Ron, i am planning indeed to add more data. Only the weather is very unpredictable, i gets clear but still rain can fall..like this evening..very nasty.
I would also like to take a normal color one without any filter to get somehow color in the stars. Guess that will become a bit a work in progress....

The image is made by using the setting L+Synthetic L from R(2xG)B etc, well the last setting in the compose module. So this is a HOO approach.
Make sure in Startools the end result is a bit greenish at least in the centre of the nebulae.I trotthled the red back in the color module. Then in GIMP use Hue saturation under the color menu. Or try also to cut the green back by using curves - green curve...
Use the cyan and play with the slider to change to color to blue. It should turn from greenish to blue, play also with the saturation. This seems to work well on the Soul.i believe i was not so successfull on the trunk .. Mind also the image is taken with a astro color camera and a L-enhance filter in place.

Sometimes i need a couple of runs to get in Startools to get it right so i can get blue out in GIMP. Anyhow, use the HOO approach, if not the Soul will stay reddish.

I will try to post perhaps a log tomorrow, if i still can find a descent one in the many many trials i did overall of the Soul stack i have...with sometimes crazy results :shock:

See below a screenshot of a result coming from ST only, You see the centre parts are greenish or green cyan like. If you can get this it is not difficult to alter it in GIMP to a more pleasing blue.
SoulScreenShot.JPG
SoulScreenShot.JPG (369.68 KiB) Viewed 18838 times
fmeireso

Post by fmeireso »

My God Ron, you brought me onto ideas...

It should be quite possible to produce a red/blue trunk....see below TRIAL DIRTY picture, stars are messed up and more stuff going on, but well a red/blue trunks should be possible...with the L-enhance stack only..
RedBlueTrunkST (Large).jpg
RedBlueTrunkST (Large).jpg (326.38 KiB) Viewed 18832 times