Hubble Space Telescope IC 434 repro

User images created with StarTools.
admin
Site Admin

Re: Hubble Space Telescope IC 434 repro

Post by admin »

luigi wrote:I was able to open the file, it needed a crop it seems...
Of course I can'teven get close to your results with the image that shows how much I have to learn about ST.

I have problems with dynamic range (areas are overexposed others too dark) with color calibration (it's always too blue or too red) and with noise, contrast and sharpness. The rest (?) is fine :D

Do you have a step by step of how you processed the photo? Or a video? A video of this can do a lot of good to ST as many other HLA images can be processed as a way to learn the tool and processing of good quality data.
As a matter of fact, the link I posted above is wrong (it was meant to point to the archive's search engine, not the actual file). The combined 1100nm and 1600nm is actually not the one I processed - StarTools will try to load it as an RGB file, while it is not (it contains a channel that does not represent image data).

I processed the 1100nm and 1600nm frames indivdually using a standard workflow for each. I then combined the two processed results using the LRGB module; 1600nm as red and 1100nm as blue. After color calibration I ended up with the image above.

I'd like to make sure everyone can process the same data set in the same way, before doing a video. As it stands now, this particular data is not suitable for the 32-bit versions of StarTools...
Ivo Jager
StarTools creator and astronomy enthusiast
luigi

Post by luigi »

So I shouldn't feel so silly if my image was never ok in terms of color? (maybe I'm still silly but not this time) Benefit of the doubt...

HLA seems to be down right now (I guess the millions of users of ST downloading the big files were too much for NASA)

I'll try to download both files and see what I can do.
solo05

Post by solo05 »

Hi Ivo,

I have managed to get 1100nm and the 1600nm processed but when I combine them using either layer or LRGB the colour is awful. As separate images they look fine and the detail is extraordinary but no matter how I adjust things in the colour module they look very dull.

Any news on when the video is coming ? :bow-yellow:
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

solo05 wrote:Hi Ivo,

I have managed to get 1100nm and the 1600nm processed but when I combine them using either layer or LRGB the colour is awful. As separate images they look fine and the detail is extraordinary but no matter how I adjust things in the colour module they look very dull.

Any news on when the video is coming ? :bow-yellow:
Yep. I'm having the same trouble now. :evil: The trouble stems from the large amounts of anomalous/bogus data, causing the Color module to lose its fix on what the true dynamic range is for each color channel. Only by boosting the blue channel by ungodly amounts can I currently achieve a reasonable color balance.
Will look into this before 1.3.5 is fully released.
Ivo Jager
solo05

Post by solo05 »

Hi Ivo,

I had aonther go at the blue channel and used layer instead of lrgb.

I then had to go back to stretch after final denoise but at least got some colours back.
Hh
Hh
HH.jpg (299.56 KiB) Viewed 8839 times
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Ok, I've uploaded a new version 1.3.5.276RC that allows for better FITS import in the case of HST LA data. It also allows higher ratios in the Color module.
Use the single mult-channel FITS file from the Archive (color_hlsp_heritage_hst_wfc3-ir_horsehead_f160w_f110w_v1_drz-sci_sci.fits).
Ivo Jager
solo05

Post by solo05 »

I shall try all that out tomorrow as I am busy shooting the supernova in M82 at the moment. :thumbsup:
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

solo05 wrote: busy shooting the supernova in M82 at the moment.
Nice, nice, nice! Pretty exciting target. I bet M82 is going to get a whole lot of love from us astro folks these next few days... :)
Ivo Jager
solo05

Post by solo05 »

OK Ivo

Here is what I have managed with the new program update and the alternative data set.

Still can't get it as good as yours.
Horsehead_small.jpg
Horsehead_small.jpg (439.41 KiB) Viewed 8835 times
OMG that looks rubbish when displaying such a small file. The full size does look a bit better. :oops:
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Not bad at all!
It does help to Bin the data before processing though. The noise reduction makes it easier to push the data a bit more.
Ivo Jager