A Star Tools triumph over light pollution!

User images created with StarTools.
ancienteyes

A Star Tools triumph over light pollution!

Post by ancienteyes »

The ease of processing difficult images with Star Tools continues to amaze and delight me!
The attached M8 shot was taken from orange-zone skies, and at 49 deg. latitude, so in the muck and mire of the urban atmosphere.
Amazingly, the "Wipe" module made short work of the horrible gradients that would have otherwise spoiled the image.
There is so much more goodness to retrieve from the data, but here is the result of just a few minutes work with Star Tools.
Thank you, Ivo!

Image Info:
C-11 EdgeHD/CGEM-DX/Hyperstar/Canon 450d-Baader Mod/IDAS-LP/50mm-SSAG-PHD Guiding
2.6 hours total integration, plus calibration.
Attachments
M8_june21_14_v3_crop_med.jpg
M8_june21_14_v3_crop_med.jpg (467.89 KiB) Viewed 4186 times
admin
Site Admin

Re: A Star Tools triumph over light pollution!

Post by admin »

Very nice! An not a trace of any dreaded light pollution! :thumbsup:
Did you try using the Color module before switching Tracking off?
Ivo Jager
StarTools creator and astronomy enthusiast
ancienteyes

Post by ancienteyes »

admin wrote:Very nice! An not a trace of any dreaded light pollution! :thumbsup:
Ivo,

Thank you for the kind words...and the awesome software that helps it come together.

As far as the "Color" module is concerned, I can't remember how I handled it. :confusion-shrug:
I have experimented, though, on other images with tracking on and off. Sometimes I think I can get a color rendition that pleases my eye better with the tracking off.
One-Shot (DSLR) color (with LP filter) combined with less than ideal urban sky conditions, is sometimes pretty difficult.
If you'd like to give me some advice on this, please fire away.

Regards,
Ancient Eyes
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

ancienteyes wrote:
admin wrote:Very nice! An not a trace of any dreaded light pollution! :thumbsup:
Ivo,

Thank you for the kind words...and the awesome software that helps it come together.

As far as the "Color" module is concerned, I can't remember how I handled it. :confusion-shrug:
I have experimented, though, on other images with tracking on and off. Sometimes I think I can get a color rendition that pleases my eye better with the tracking off.
One-Shot (DSLR) color (with LP filter) combined with less than ideal urban sky conditions, is sometimes pretty difficult.
If you'd like to give me some advice on this, please fire away.

Regards,
Ancient Eyes
At the end of the day, all that counts is what you're happy with. Using the color module at the end of the process will allow you to recover color ratios as your CCD caught them in a replicable way. M8 will exhibits a purplish/pink associated with HII areas, while star temperatures can be accurately described by means of color.
Ivo Jager
StarTools creator and astronomy enthusiast