IC5146 Cocoon nebula

User images created with StarTools.
Alvinillo

IC5146 Cocoon nebula

Post by Alvinillo »

I've waited to have the perfect conditions for a AP season; Summer hot night, uncooled Canon camera, light polluted sky and sea level place. Of course there was no moon at sight! ;)

The result is not a great image but stacked fit wasnot very promising. Cocoon is a too faint object for that sky and temperature.

Processing includes
Bin 50%
Wipe
Deconvolution
Sharp in large scale, aggresive
color and noise correction
Isolate to bring out a little that dust
and sometinhg I dind't try before. Automated Mask selection of little dark holes that noise reduction didn't get rid of and Heal module to remove them. It works great

http://www.astrobin.com/117212/
Attachments
Cocoon StarTools.jpg
Cocoon StarTools.jpg (435.71 KiB) Viewed 4933 times
Last edited by Alvinillo on Sun Aug 31, 2014 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Amaranthus

Re: IC5146 Cocoon nebula

Post by Amaranthus »

A very nice image, sharp and contrasty. Could we have some more details on the capture? (imaging telescope, number and duration of sub exposures etc.)?
Long-time visual observer, now learning the AP dark arts...
Alvinillo

Post by Alvinillo »

I forgot to put the astrobin link, here it is
http://www.astrobin.com/117212/

Equipment is a Vixen Visac VC200L with f6.4 focal reducer wich leads to a 1280mm focal length. Camera is a Canon 450D IR removed by me (what a quest!). Really it is not a right combination, Canon has a 5.2 um pixel size wich leads to a resolution of 0.8"/pixel. I'm oversamplig the image and having a bad SNR. My first step in StarTools is binning the image 50%

Exposures are a combination of 300s and 120s 1600ISO. Total usable exposure time is about 1 hour taken in 2 nights :( At least I took calibration exposures
Amaranthus

Post by Amaranthus »

Thanks Alvinillo. I was never game to remove the IR filter from my DSLR. Now I'm almost always shoot with a CCD - but with my current image train and 'trainer' CCD (an Orion StarShoot G3 mono - very much a beginner's piece), I'm working with undersampled data - the opposite problem to you.
Long-time visual observer, now learning the AP dark arts...
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Just beautiful, with fantastic detail and coloringl! :thumbsup:
Ivo Jager
StarTools creator and astronomy enthusiast