NGC6888 Crescent

User images created with StarTools.
Alvinillo

NGC6888 Crescent

Post by Alvinillo »

Another picture shot at poor skies. I've got too prominent stars, even if they are reduced, and I'm not sure why this happens. At Astrobin I've seen similar images with dslr and their stars are dimmer with more visible nebula structures. May be it is because my poor sky?

I think I've overprocessed it a little bit.

http://www.astrobin.com/117230/
NGC6888_StarTools.jpg
NGC6888_StarTools.jpg (487.9 KiB) Viewed 3579 times
And I've done the tutorial about separating stars from nebula. I've diminished a little bit the stars bright
NGC6888_StarTools2_512kb.jpg
NGC6888_StarTools2_512kb.jpg (445.61 KiB) Viewed 3577 times
admin
Site Admin

Re: NGC6888 Crescent

Post by admin »

Hi Alvaro,

That's a very respectable image nonetheless. In order to tame busy star fields, you can use the Magic module (using the Shrink or Tame algorithms, where Tame is best used on stars with overexposed cores), or (my favourite) the Isolate preset in the Life module (with full mask).
Ivo Jager
StarTools creator and astronomy enthusiast
Alvinillo

Re: NGC6888 Crescent

Post by Alvinillo »

admin wrote:Hi Alvaro,

That's a very respectable image nonetheless. In order to tame busy star fields, you can use the Magic module (using the Shrink or Tame algorithms, where Tame is best used on stars with overexposed cores), or (my favourite) the Isolate preset in the Life module (with full mask).
Thanks for the advice Ivo, I didn't remember about Tame method. Stars are already shrinked 1 pixel with Magic module and nebula has been also isolated. The problem (if it is a problem) holds in my stacked fit file.

Regards