Deer lick group - work in progress

User images created with StarTools.
1074j

Deer lick group - work in progress

Post by 1074j »

Here's the lum channel that I've been working on recently. Such a cool grouping of galaxies. I'm really happy with the results from my workflow for the L channel which I wanted to quickly outline. (so I can remember too)
1) manual develop. I've recently learned to not stretch too hard because I can use #2 and #3 to bring out more detail without blowing stars as much
2) HDR brighten dark
3) HDR Tame or Reveal
4) deconv only area of interest
5) light deconv stars
6) Sharpen (large) area of interest
7) Sharpen (medium) area of interest
8) Track off and Denoise
9) Magic tighten stars
10) Depending on situation, Magic shrink stars

The lum channel is about 15 400s images from a C11 at f/5 and a Atik 460ex.

I still need to process RGB and make/process a color image. I usually use Gimp 2.9 to do final tweaking.

Lex
Attachments
ngc7331.jpg
ngc7331.jpg (122.7 KiB) Viewed 4515 times
admin
Site Admin

Re: Deer lick group - work in progress

Post by admin »

Superb! :bow-yellow:
Tack sharp, so many faint fuzzies accounted for. Love it!
Ivo Jager
StarTools creator and astronomy enthusiast
1074j

Post by 1074j »

admin wrote:Superb! :bow-yellow:
Thanks!
I have a question regarding creating the color image using the LRGB function. I saw somewhere that the way to do this in Startools was using the unprocessed LRGB images. I've been processing each separately as is generically recommended, as I especially like to see what I can pull out of the monochrome L image, then use the LRGB operation and have had inconsistent results. What is the recommended way?
thanks.
Mike
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

1074j wrote:
admin wrote:Superb! :bow-yellow:
Thanks!
I have a question regarding creating the color image using the LRGB function. I saw somewhere that the way to do this in Startools was using the unprocessed LRGB images. I've been processing each separately as is generically recommended, as I especially like to see what I can pull out of the monochrome L image, then use the LRGB operation and have had inconsistent results. What is the recommended way?
thanks.
Mike
Indeed, you can opt to process L and RGB seperately (just process the latter lightly - since you'll only be interested in the colors) and combine them once you have processed both, Combining is doen in the Layer module - use the 'Brightness of fg' or 'Color of fg' Layer Mode as appropriate.
Ivo Jager
StarTools creator and astronomy enthusiast