M45 - Pleiades

User images created with StarTools.
LanFeusT

M45 - Pleiades

Post by LanFeusT »

Hi!

This is my very attempt at using StarTools, I purchased the tool literally yesterday!

http://www.astrobin.com/full/150040/0/

For the first time I also tried to use my main scope (Celestron 8SE) as my guiding scope, and my guiding scope (Orion guide scope 80mm) as my imaging... the idea was that I wanted to image the Comet (which will be the next I try to process!), after doing that I switched to M45. There's quite a lot of chromatic aberration left due to the guiding scope not being apochromatic (yet another thing to add to the TO BUY list!), but I've been learning StarTools for two days straight this will be good enough for now, my wife wants me back!

Details:
  • 24 x 300 second lights @ ISO 800
    10 Darks
    12 Bias
Note:
I first tried in Wipe to use a mask, but that actually ended up not processing much of the background, and left a quite visually different background between the back of the gas cloud and the rest of the background. I reprocessed it all without using a mask and I found the results much more even and satisfying.
I also used Artistic aware in the Color mode, I found the colors to be otherwise too green (and the slider for Green was already set to 1.00)

I'm loving this tool! Going to go back to previous targets I processed in PS and see if I can make them prettier!
admin
Site Admin

Re: M45 - Pleiades

Post by admin »

Pretty darn good for a StarTools 'virgin'! :D I know it's your work, but it makes me a little proud as well.

Regarding using Wipe + mask, did you invert the mask? (e.g. leave non-green pixels where the nebulosity is)
Ivo Jager
StarTools creator and astronomy enthusiast
LanFeusT

Re: M45 - Pleiades

Post by LanFeusT »

admin wrote:Pretty darn good for a StarTools 'virgin'! :D I know it's your work, but it makes me a little proud as well.

Regarding using Wipe + mask, did you invert the mask? (e.g. leave non-green pixels where the nebulosity is)
Thank you!

Yes I did use Wipe + mask and inverted it, could be am not doing something right, but still learning.