My StarTools module-by-module user notes

Notes from users, documentation addendums.
jlh

My StarTools module-by-module user notes

Post by jlh »

FWIW, the link below is for my user notes on StarTools' modules. Generally, if I don't write it down I don't remember it; especially since nights available to me for capturing data for processing are far and few between.

This is a compilation of information from other knowledgeable sources and little of my independent work. It has become more detailed than I originally intended; however, since I often run into stumbling blocks, having such detail to fall back on can be helpful at times.

I would appreciate any corrections or other comments any of you really smart StarTools people could give me since this is a work in progress.

Thanks,
Jeff

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1i9Y ... ue&sd=true
Carles

Re: My StarTools module-by-module user notes

Post by Carles »

Hi Jeff,

that's great, thanks for sharing :)

Btw, are you aware of the unofficial manual written by Jochen ?
https://www.startools.org/downloads/uno ... sh-manual-

Cs,

Carles.
jlh

Post by jlh »

Hi Charles,
Thanks for the comment. Yes, I have that manual and have tried to incorporate some of its comprehensive and very good recommendations. I also tried to incorporate some of Guy's very good discussions of the modules as well as other knowledgeable forum posts.

Jeff
Mike in Rancho

Post by Mike in Rancho »

46 pages, yikes! :shock:

These are very thorough notes. :D

So, I only made it through page 1 so far. Two things perhaps:

1. For OSC Open, I'm not sure middle button is really middle button anymore, since with Help at the end there's 4.

2. The synth L is indeed specially weighted from the RGB channels, but that's because G has better SNR due to 2x pixels, and so I think the weighting is of the SNR which would be the square root, i.e. around 1.4x. So, if in the same format as your notes, it would be like .293xR + .414xG + .293xB. :think:
jlh

Post by jlh »

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the comments. These notes were started back with version 1.8 so some things need to be updated like the buttons you mention. Any other needed corrections you see would be much appreciated.

They have ballooned a lot more than I anticipated. I kept adding things that might come in handy from reading ideas on this forum from smart guys like you. I hyperlinked the modules (I don't know if that came through on Google Drive) for easy to jump to a particular module for quick access when I need help during processing.

Jeff