SHO with OSC?

General discussion about StarTools.
Mike in Rancho

Re: SHO with OSC?

Post by Mike in Rancho »

firebrand18 wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 3:26 pm Yes indeed, nice images and the SII really adds flavor. I exchanged my L-Enhance for the L-Extreme but still have tons of good L-Enhance data so I can experiment with both; another item to add to the Christmas list! The SVBony looks good too; as I also have Optolong L-Pro, may just stick to the same brand for an SII.

I'm a big fan of H(H+O)O composite along with the usual HOO; looks beautiful in my eyes. Here is the Eastern Veil I posted this week on AB with those two; I added RGB stars with the L-Pro (Layer module color of fg) which really makes a nice addition:

https://www.astrobin.com/jbca7q/

https://www.astrobin.com/z5kdex/

Thanks for the great discussion. :obscene-drinkingcheers:
Nick
Interesting! I too generally like the H(H+O)O, other than the finger dexterity it takes to type that out every time. The Veil is so iconic as red and blue/teal though, that it's hard to go there with it.

I will probably play with Norm's wall data again when I get the chance, and probably leave more Ha/green in. That's where it will really start to diverge from the H(H+O)O version and show the worth of a tricolor.
firebrand18

Post by firebrand18 »

Keen to see your tri-color results with Norm's data when you get around to it.

As for the HOO vs. H(H+O)O debate (yes, twisted spelling gymnastics), my wife loves the latter so I create both to please her and keep the "budget" for astro-goodies open! :mrgreen:

CS
Stefan B

Post by Stefan B »

firebrand18 wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 6:48 pm As for the HOO vs. H(H+O)O debate (yes, twisted spelling gymnastics), my wife loves the latter so I create both to please her and keep the "budget" for astro-goodies open! :mrgreen:
Same here :lol:
firebrand18

Post by firebrand18 »

:D
Notty

Post by Notty »

Hello I stumbled on this thread as looking to process my first stab at data from my L-extreme through OSC and was wondering if there were any tutorials on how to extract and recombine the channels from this filter to get the gorgeous looking results shown previously? Thank you
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Notty wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 12:08 am Hello I stumbled on this thread as looking to process my first stab at data from my L-extreme through OSC and was wondering if there were any tutorials on how to extract and recombine the channels from this filter to get the gorgeous looking results shown previously? Thank you
In the Compose module, just load the same dataset for red, green and blue and set "Luminance, Color" to "L + Synthetic L from R(2xG)B, R(GB)(GB) (Bi-Color from OSC/DSLR)". Process detail as normal until you hit the Color module. There, start off with the Bi-Color preset. Let Ha (red bias) and O-III (green or blue bias) poke through to your liking (this is all done without touching the detail). For alternate color mappings, choose a different option for the Matrix parameter.

The above is really the only difference between a workflow with visual spectrum data (from an OSC or DSLR) and from a duo/tri/quadband filter like the L-eXreme. :thumbsup:

Hope that helps!
Ivo Jager
StarTools creator and astronomy enthusiast
Startrek

Post by Startrek »

As recommended by Ivo last year , I use the Compose module and OSC / DSLR Bi Color preset to produce some interesting Bi Color renditions of Emission Nebula with my L Extreme filter and ZWOASI 2600MC
In the Color module I use the matrix presets in SHO and HOO etc.... reduce the green bias and play around with red and blue bias , adjust saturation etc.. to create some Bi Color renditions.Obviously OSC will never compete with true mono narrowband renditions but at least it adds some interesting concepts using a single filter and simple workflows in Startools
Kudos goes to Ivo for developing this concept for OSC narrowband imaging
Attached are some Bi Color images from 2021

Clear Skies
Attachments
2A5545C0-4FD0-46B0-AEA7-59B1EB4D048B.jpeg
2A5545C0-4FD0-46B0-AEA7-59B1EB4D048B.jpeg (400.89 KiB) Viewed 3327 times
CA2363BE-5C6C-469D-814C-7BFD6E464A25.jpeg
CA2363BE-5C6C-469D-814C-7BFD6E464A25.jpeg (453.04 KiB) Viewed 3327 times
436161A0-505F-4EBB-A03E-1B9A1C2A03B0.jpeg
436161A0-505F-4EBB-A03E-1B9A1C2A03B0.jpeg (474.62 KiB) Viewed 3327 times
Notty

Post by Notty »

admin wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 10:02 pm
Notty wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 12:08 am Hello I stumbled on this thread as looking to process my first stab at data from my L-extreme through OSC and was wondering if there were any tutorials on how to extract and recombine the channels from this filter to get the gorgeous looking results shown previously? Thank you
In the Compose module, just load the same dataset for red, green and blue and set "Luminance, Color" to "L + Synthetic L from R(2xG)B, R(GB)(GB) (Bi-Color from OSC/DSLR)". Process detail as normal until you hit the Color module. There, start off with the Bi-Color preset. Let Ha (red bias) and O-III (green or blue bias) poke through to your liking (this is all done without touching the detail). For alternate color mappings, choose a different option for the Matrix parameter.

The above is really the only difference between a workflow with visual spectrum data (from an OSC or DSLR) and from a duo/tri/quadband filter like the L-eXreme. :thumbsup:

Hope that helps!
Thanks so much for the tip Ivo, I'll be having a bash at this shortly
Notty

Post by Notty »

Startrek wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 6:20 am As recommended by Ivo last year , I use the Compose module and OSC / DSLR Bi Color preset to produce some interesting Bi Color renditions of Emission Nebula with my L Extreme filter and ZWOASI 2600MC
In the Color module I use the matrix presets in SHO and HOO etc.... reduce the green bias and play around with red and blue bias , adjust saturation etc.. to create some Bi Color renditions.Obviously OSC will never compete with true mono narrowband renditions but at least it adds some interesting concepts using a single filter and simple workflows in Startools
Kudos goes to Ivo for developing this concept for OSC narrowband imaging
Attached are some Bi Color images from 2021

Clear Skies
Those are some amazing images right there, thanks for sharing them and the tips.