Utility to replay StarTools sessions

General discussion about StarTools.
Guy

Re: Utility to replay StarTools sessions

Post by Guy »

Hi Rowland,

Making STReplay work in Linux (and hopefully macOS) - in some way - is one of my aims - but I can't give you a timescale yet.

I've done some tests running it under mono on Linux to understand the issues better.
Ivo has been helping me a lot to improve the integration with StarTools which should also help with running under different OS's.

However, my current focus is to get a first public release of the Windows only version.

I will then re-assess the effort needed to make it work in some way under Linux - maybe using mono. Would that be of any interest to you?

Guy
Rowland

Post by Rowland »

mono seems to be a preferred option with VB.NET or C# in Linux. A project to watch with interest. mono did not install well on my xubuntu system even with the ubuntu supplied packages.
Guy

Post by Guy »

I have created a new version (0.49.53) ready for testers to download.

The significant changes are:
- Full background operation is possible.
- Support for (and requires) StarTools v1.5. Version 1.4 is no longer supported.
- Full support of the STReplay interface to StarTools
- Various other bug fixes

Just download it as before.

Let me know of any problems you have - or any ideas for improvements.
Many thanks for the feedback so far.

Guy
maxchess

Post by maxchess »

How do I get STReplay?

Cannot see a link in this forum or on the STReplay links page?
Max
Guy

Post by Guy »

First beta release of STReplay for Windows

I have just uploaded the first beta version of STReplay (0.51.57) which is generally available for people to try.
Currently it only works on StarTools version 1.5 in Windows.

Download the file STReplay.zip to your hard drive from here

Extract the files from the zipped file STReplay.zip into a folder on the hard drive.
Please read the 'Notes for Beta Testers.txt' file and the 'STReplayNotes' PDF

It is still beta so you may find some problems. Please report these to me by PM.

Many thanks to Ivo for his help and the interface to StarTools, and the testers for their great support.

Thanks and regards,

Guy
Guy

Post by Guy »

Request for Linux testers

Now that the first generally-available beta version of STReplay for windows has been released I am focusing on a version for Linux.

The Linux version runs in mono under Linux.
I am looking for alpha testers to help with the testing.

If you are interested in helping me test STReplay under Linux then please contact me via PM.

Please let me know the version of Linux you are using and the hardware platform.

Regards
Guy
happy-kat

Post by happy-kat »

It is great to see the remodeled StarTools links and tutorials page now has STReplay covered.
Guy

Post by Guy »

Second beta release of STReplay for Windows

I have just uploaded the second beta version of STReplay (0.52.61) which is generally available for people to try.

What's new:
  • Support for StarTools versions 1.6 in Windows. (as well as 1.5) including the new Denoise 2 module and the SNR-aware Wavelet Sharpening module.
  • Easy replaying of last processing session by selecting the 'Latest Session.log' file
  • Minor performance improvements.

Extract the files from the zipped file STReplay.zip into a folder on the hard drive.

It is still beta so you may find some problems. Please report these to me by PM.

Many thanks to Ivo for his help and the interface to StarTools, and the testers for their great support.

Thanks and regards,

Guy
Guy

Post by Guy »

New beta release of STReplay for Windows

I have just uploaded the latest beta version of STReplay (0.53.62) which is generally available for people to try.

What's new:
  • Support for captions - so you can add a commentary to a replayed session for sharing with others.
  • Example session with captions based on Ivo's YouTube video "Painlessly recreating the iconic Hubble 'Pillars of Creation' image in StarTools"
  • Minor bug fixes.

Many thanks to Ivo and all who have helped.

Thanks and regards,

Guy
happy-kat

Post by happy-kat »

That's brilliant thank you, I should have a play as I've a different PC now to try it on.