DSS setting

General discussion about StarTools.
Burly

DSS setting

Post by Burly »

Ivo now that DSS now 4.2.1 has gone through quite a few updates lately does the settings for DSS that was advised for using before processing in startools still stand?.
happy-kat

Re: DSS setting

Post by happy-kat »

They are the settings I am still using.
szymon

Post by szymon »

I have completely stopped using DSS. I'm not sure if it's just because it's in a state of flux, but it seems completely incapable of correctly calibrating my images. I have now moved entirely to ASTAP (The Astrometic STAcking Program) for stacking -- you can get it for free from http://www.hnsky.org/astap.htm -- and it's frankly brilliant. It's much more deeply technical than DSS and doesn't have such a pretty GUI etc, but it is far more powerful. In addition, the developer is simply superb (I'm talking Ivo levels of responsiveness and knowledge) and happy to engage -- for example, ASTAP wasn't capable of aligning multiple stacks with each other the way DSS can do by selecting a reference frame, so Han (the ASTAP developer) added the function for me. Thoroughly recommend trying it out, and happy to help people use it to create input data for StarTools if needed :-)
Burly

Post by Burly »

I will give astap (hadn’t heard of it, )a look I have been using regim , sigma option but tried other algorithms and now questioning what setting I’m using , so I have DSS 4.2.1 just wanted to check if the newer version had changed the need for the original tweaks that was advised .

Regards Dave
Rkonrad

Post by Rkonrad »

Has anyone tried Siril? It's a slight learning curve but it stacks extremely quickly - many many times faster than DSS. Basically a Linux product but I think there's a download for Windows too. https://www.siril.org

Richard
Burly

Post by Burly »

Astap seems to be Linux only Siril has windows compatibility, looking through Siril n need to study first thanks Richard.
szymon

Post by szymon »

ASTAP is multiplatform and there is a Windows binary here:

http://www.hnsky.org/astap.htm

At the very top click on the "ASTAP Installer" link under "MS Windows 64 bit" :-)
Burly

Post by Burly »

Cheers for that must have had a man look .
prusling

Post by prusling »

I see that a "No white balancing" option has been added to the latest DSS beta at Ivo's request - please can he advise which of the StarTools image open options should now be used (the second from the left?).
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

prusling wrote:I see that a "No white balancing" option has been added to the latest DSS beta at Ivo's request - please can he advise which of the StarTools image open options should now be used (the second from the left?).
You beat me to it! :) (TL;DR: yes second option, and use 1.6 alpha if you want to use special camera response settings for your DSLR model)
Ivo Jager
StarTools creator and astronomy enthusiast