Latest Version with my Licence

General discussion about StarTools.
davidjbillo

Latest Version with my Licence

Post by davidjbillo »

It's been a few years since I used StarTools, and in the intervening time, I've lost a hard drive, but I still have a few backups and my licence key (a file named "license" with no extension).

Now I have a new astro laptop and want to install and start using it. The latest download I have is 1.3.5.289
Is there a more up to date version that will run under my current licence?

[EDIT]: I understand that latest version will run, but also about the 2 year update rule.
So, when I start ST, it says "Entitle to updates until 2017/02/01" (02 February, 2017)

What was the current version at that time, and can it still be downloaded?
admin
Site Admin

Re: Latest Version with my Licence

Post by admin »

davidjbillo wrote:It's been a few years since I used StarTools, and in the intervening time, I've lost a hard drive, but I still have a few backups and my licence key (a file named "license" with no extension).

Now I have a new astro laptop and want to install and start using it. The latest download I have is 1.3.5.289
Is there a more up to date version that will run under my current licence?

[EDIT]: I understand that latest version will run, but also about the 2 year update rule.
So, when I start ST, it says "Entitle to updates until 2017/02/01" (02 February, 2017)

What was the current version at that time, and can it still be downloaded?
Hi David,

Welcome back!
The most up-to-date official release version at that time was 1.3.5.289, however many intervening "unstable" 1.4.x alpha and beta versions were released as well during the long development road to 1.5 (1.4.327 alpha being the last released before 2017/02/01). As you state, even though your update entitlements have expired, you can still activate and use the very latest versions of StarTools. This is so you can evaluate the new features released since, without any limitations. If you feel the new features, functionality and improvements are worth renewing update entitlements for, you can do so at a reduced rate here.

Hope this helps & wishing you clear skies!
Ivo Jager
StarTools creator and astronomy enthusiast
davidjbillo

Post by davidjbillo »

Thanks Ivo!

Yeah, renewal might be the best idea. I went ahead and installed the latest stable, and gave it a spin on M61+2020jfo, and hoo-boy! There's certainly something to be said for 8 [logical] cores and 32G ram compared to my old desktop, but that went WAY smoother than I seem to recall in the past. [EDIT] Oh yeah...I did bin the data, which I had never done in the past, so that didn't hurt either I suppose.

I'd have to read through the change log and see what transpired between 1.4.327 and current, but to be honest, even at full price, StarTools is very reasonably priced.

The real problem here is me...I need to USE it more!
davidjbillo

Post by davidjbillo »

OK, went for the renewal. For 27 Canuckbucks, it's not even worth thinking about.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

davidjbillo wrote:OK, went for the renewal. For 27 Canuckbucks, it's not even worth thinking about.
Many thanks for your continued support David! :thumbsup:
Ivo Jager
StarTools creator and astronomy enthusiast