Use of autodev and dev

General discussion about StarTools.
fmeireso

Use of autodev and dev

Post by fmeireso »

Hi everybody,

I having some trouble getting an good image out of autodev...
At start i get a very red background with eg a very yellow M31, or really blue background with a yellow M100.

What is the exact procedure ?

Use autodev : correct issues - like gradients - crop edge stacking artifacts...
And then?
I reused autodev again but i think that is wrong
Guess i should use dev , point out a region of interest , tweak some settings and 'do'

Sofar until now no good image came up ,unless i diminished the gamma factor....then the objects came up.
Also in the very red/yellow M31 after autodev i really could not see the issues in the stack like the nasty gradiënt it had ,which i knew, but could not really see it..

Very new to ST,

I saw a demo on you tube , the rosette nebuale, after wiping allready a great image came up, but sofar i was not able to do this with my M31...

I will try to post some autodev samples i get lateron...
happy-kat

Re: Use of autodev and dev

Post by happy-kat »

Hi, after the first auto dev just see check out the issues that may be present then the next thing to do before using Wipe is to crop.
Are you cropping after Wipe?
fmeireso

Post by fmeireso »

Yes i crop and wipe.

But meanwhile i think i figured it out,
I have to use the second option when you load an image , linear bayered etc...not just linear
If i then autodev, i get a black and white image , but thisone shows me actually the defects, like gradients or edge distortions.

After cropping and wiping, i do a dev, where i have 2 settings, gamma and digital development....then the image pops up, still in B&W though..

Then add color , and i can furhter process, which i still have to learn, but now it is there.....

I image with a DSRL , unmodded....
happy-kat

Post by happy-kat »

If you are stacking using DSS 4.2.3 then you can turn off white balance (set to no white balance) in the settings then the option in startools is dslr/ocs not white balanced.
fmeireso

Post by fmeireso »

White balance is off.

I followed the guidelines in found in the ST 1.6 manual for stacking. Still in dev image comes out B&W until i add color to it...Do i overlook something...?
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

Have a look at these helpful workflow charts by user @hixx.

All recommended workflows roughly follow this sequence;
  • AutoDev to visualise data and defects
  • Correct defects (Crop, Bin, Wipe)
  • Do final global stretch (AutoDev preferred unless you want to emulate the look of photographic film)
  • Local detail enhancement
  • Color calibration
  • Turn tracking off (and do noise reduction)
This sequence roughly follows the home screen's icons when read left-to-right, top-to-bottom.

StarTools (preferably) processes your luminance (detail) and chrominance (coloring) data separately, yet simultaneously. When this happens (Compose mode is on / the word "Compose" lit green), you will be mostly processing your detail (luminance/detail, which is mono), until you hit the Color module. The Color module creates a composite from the Luminance and Chrominance data. The benefits of this are numerous (cleaner luminance/detail, color decisions don't impact luminance and vice-versa, enormous flexibility to choose different color renderings).

Hope this helps!
Ivo Jager
StarTools creator and astronomy enthusiast