1.7.424 alpha with new Wipe module

General discussion about StarTools.
alacant

Re: 1.7.424 alpha with new Wipe module

Post by alacant »

Hi Ivo, everyone

I'm having problems visualising the effect of the wiped versus the un-wiped image. In the new wipe, the wiped image is much brighter than the original and so is difficult to assess the effectiveness of whatever wipe has done.

@Ivo, could we perhaps have a less aggressive preview stretch?

Clear skies,
Steve
happy-kat

Post by happy-kat »

My data set is causing wipe a headache I think it is crashing starTools shut on me nearly all the time on using it. I will try some more tomorrow to see if there is method I can repeat on demand.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

happy-kat wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 7:00 pm My data set is causing wipe a headache I think it is crashing starTools shut on me nearly all the time on using it. I will try some more tomorrow to see if there is method I can repeat on demand.
I think I may have found a bug that might cause that. I will release a fix soon.
alacant wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 10:46 am I'm having problems visualising the effect of the wiped versus the un-wiped image. In the new wipe, the wiped image is much brighter than the original and so is difficult to assess the effectiveness of whatever wipe has done.
@Ivo, could we perhaps have a less aggressive preview stretch?
I will make it so that the Before/After button shows the linear data stretched by the exact same diagnostics stretch being applied by the Wiped result.

This will, of course, not make the brightness the same (the point of the stretch is to keep showing issues in your wiped data), but will highlight the original issues using the exact same method in the exact same manner for consistency.
Ivo Jager
StarTools creator and astronomy enthusiast
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

1.7.425 now up for download with the fixes mentioned above. Thank you for your feedback so far!
Ivo Jager
elpajare

Post by elpajare »

I can't open this version on my Mac Mojave.

I do the same as with the other versions but it does not open ... ¿¿???
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

elpajare wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 7:31 am I can't open this version on my Mac Mojave.

I do the same as with the other versions but it does not open ... ¿¿???
Odd... I don't think anything has materially changed for macOS... :think:
I just tried it on Sierra and Catalina without problems.
Does the application launch if you use the "Show Package" method?
What are the specs of your system?
Ivo Jager
alacant

Post by alacant »

admin wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 6:11 am 1.7.425 now up for download with the fixes mentioned above. Thank you for your feedback so far!
Thanks for listening Ivo. Much appreciated:)

i'm still finding it difficult to see what has changed between pre and post wipe. The post wipe stretch is so harsh, it obliterates any change. It isn't the same stretch as pre-wipe. it seems to be much stronger and brighter.

(Oh, the before-after button on wipe is stuck at either Before or After. it doesn't toggle)

Still thinking how I work around this!
Cheers,
Steve
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

alacant wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 8:31 am (Oh, the before-after button on wipe is stuck at either Before or After. it doesn't toggle)
:oops: will fix
The post wipe stretch is so harsh, it obliterates any change.
It isn't the same stretch as pre-wipe. it seems to be much stronger and brighter.
Indeed, per my previous message, the stretches are different.
Perhaps you are misunderstanding the point of the stretches?
In both instances the stretches are meant to highlight any remaining issues. The post-wipe stretch being brighter than the pre-wipe stretch is expected behavior; it means that AutoDev needs to stretch harder to show you any remaining issues. This is a good sign.
It means that with a more modest stretch, those issues are now much less visible, which is the goal.
The stretches cannot be comparable or the same because the dynamic range change of the signal due to synthetic calibration and gradient removal can be absolutely humongous (take for example a galaxy swamped in light pollution).
Still thinking how I work around this!
Letting go of the initial stretch is probably the way to go; it is (should be) useless and sub-optimal. It acts as an initial guide to show initial issues, but as you whittle away at them using Wipe that initial stretch is less and less representative of the new, cleaned up state of your data.
Ivo Jager
alacant

Post by alacant »

Thanks Ivo
Yes, I've just discovered is that I can check the colour result too. There it's MUCH better in distinguishing pre and post wipe.
The colour thing solves it for me.

Please accept my apologies for all the noise.
Clear skies,
steve
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

alacant wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 9:11 am Thanks Ivo
Yes, I've just discovered is that I can check the colour result too. There it's MUCH better in distinguishing pre and post wipe.
The colour thing solves it for me.

Please accept my apologies for all the noise.
Clear skies,
steve
Please keep up the noise Steve! :)
StarTools is made better by your suggestions.
Ivo Jager