1.7.424 alpha with new Wipe module

General discussion about StarTools.
admin
Site Admin

Re: 1.7.424 alpha with new Wipe module

Post by admin »

happy-kat wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 4:36 pm Thanks Ivo
I tried your version of that file, no change it made no difference the GT card is still being used by Startools.
Though your file looked identical to the one I had manually created, it also just had a 0 inside.
Ok, then it seems like your iGPU is not being detected at all (perhaps it is disabled?).
On Windows, you can confirm the presence (and OpenCL compatibility) of all your GPUs with this useful tool.
At the bottom you should be able to use the dropdown to see information for all available GPUs in your system, including whetehr they support OpenCL or not;
Hopefully this will yield some clues...
Ivo Jager
StarTools creator and astronomy enthusiast
happy-kat

Post by happy-kat »

Thanks Ivo.
Task manager shows I have two GPUs and I will check whether the second is doing anything next time I process in StarTools to check the other is actually there. The one board one reports at 3.9 Gb shared GPU memory and the graphics card is dedicated 2Gb memory.

In the mean time I am throwing another 8Gb of ram at the PC.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

happy-kat wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 7:13 pm Thanks Ivo.
Task manager shows I have two GPUs and I will check whether the second is doing anything next time I process in StarTools to check the other is actually there. The one board one reports at 3.9 Gb shared GPU memory and the graphics card is dedicated 2Gb memory.

In the mean time I am throwing another 8Gb of ram at the PC.
Can you confirm both GPUs support OpenCL? Or is it just the GT 730 that supports OpenCL?

In the mean time, I'm releasing 1.7.433 with some further (possible) stability improvements.
Ivo Jager
happy-kat

Post by happy-kat »

1.7.434a GPU In 20 minutes ST crashed closed 3 times, on crop, on decon and then on Super structure.
I have been watching the task manager performance tab and the GPU is only being lightly used and appears to not be the bottle neck I thought it was, it has 6Gb of memory disposable to it (windows is treating my card as the useable GPU and giving it the allocated 4Gb from the onboard one plus the dedicated 2Gb on the card). I have open GL support as it is used by other stuff like stellarium 'OpenGL supported version: "4.6.0 NVIDIA 432.00"' which I had to sort out to get stellarium to work.
My ram on the other hand runs at 60+% most of the time, there is only 8GB. an extra 8Gb is expected to be fitted very soon ... it just landed through the letter box
The none GPU version I was able to use all the demanding modules and it was stable.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

happy-kat wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 1:41 pm 1.7.434a GPU In 20 minutes ST crashed closed 3 times, on crop, on decon and then on Super structure.
I have been watching the task manager performance tab and the GPU is only being lightly used and appears to not be the bottle neck I thought it was, it has 6Gb of memory disposable to it (windows is treating my card as the useable GPU and giving it the allocated 4Gb from the onboard one plus the dedicated 2Gb on the card). I have open GL support as it is used by other stuff like stellarium 'OpenGL supported version: "4.6.0 NVIDIA 432.00"' which I had to sort out to get stellarium to work.
My ram on the other hand runs at 60+% most of the time, there is only 8GB. an extra 8Gb is expected to be fitted very soon ... it just landed through the letter box
The none GPU version I was able to use all the demanding modules and it was stable.
Dang :(
If it crashes in all those modules at random, then this really sounds like a problem with either the driver or the card itself.
Please note, we're looking for OpenCL with a capital C, not OpenGL with a capital G!
Ivo Jager
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

happy-kat wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 1:41 pm 1.7.434a GPU In 20 minutes ST crashed closed 3 times, on crop, on decon and then on Super structure.
Since you are using a GPU with rather "modest" compute power at its disposal, this may help solving the instability issues;
https://www.startools.org/downloads/tec ... nstability
I have been watching the task manager performance tab and the GPU is only being lightly used and appears to not be the bottle neck I thought it was,
This FAQ entry explains that the task manager performance tab can be (is) rather misleading;
https://www.startools.org/downloads/tec ... /gpu-usage
Ivo Jager
happy-kat

Post by happy-kat »

They're useful links, thanks.
happy-kat

Post by happy-kat »

Thought to update that the last release and 1.7.450a are much more stable for me and work noticeably faster, both versions, thank you.
GPU did crash for me using shrink module so miles better and occurs less frequent.
None GPU is still faster than before (extra 8Gb ram) and no crashes so far.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

happy-kat wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 10:53 am Thought to update that the last release and 1.7.450a are much more stable for me and work noticeably faster, both versions, thank you.
GPU did crash for me using shrink module so miles better and occurs less frequent.
Thank you @happy-kat. I have so far been - famous last words - unable to cause any instabilities on a range of GPUs and hardware combos (my office looks like a bomb has hit it :lol:). I have been able to reliably replicate an issue on Linux with Intel iGPUs, but this is a confirmed issue with the drivers on that platform.
Ivo Jager
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

happy-kat wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 10:53 am GPU did crash for me using shrink module so miles better and occurs less frequent.
As I recall we never really got GPU switching to work for you, correct?
In the very latest version (1.7.455 Release Candidate 3), I made some improvements to the way the compute device is selected.
You can now override the default vendor selection by creating a file named 'openclplatformindex.cfg' (please make sure it has exactly that name, including its extension) and putting the number '0' or the number '1' in there. This lets you use different OpenCL platforms/vendors/drivers in your system.

Before, there was also already similar functionality via a file named 'opencldeviceindex.cfg'. Same thing - put a '0' or '1' in there. This lets you use different devices from the same vendor, running the same driver.

I think in your case you need the 'openclplatformindex.cfg' file (given we're dealing with two different vendors; Intel iGPU vs nVidia GT 730).

Hopefully this will let you select the more stable GPU solution.
Ivo Jager