Welcome!

General discussion about StarTools.
admin
Site Admin

Welcome!

Post by admin »

Hi and welcome to the StarTools forum!

StarTools has been released as of the 1st of March 2011 and can be found in the download section.
Don't hesitate to use the forum to let us know what you think and how we can improve StarTools!

We hope you enjoy your stay,
Ivo Jager
StarTools creator and astronomy enthusiast
Troy Galebach

Re: Welcome!

Post by Troy Galebach »

Hello Ivo,
It's been awhile, and our weather was so terrible this past 9 months that joined Deep Sky West to get some data to play with.
Now it might be in the manual, but remember I'm dumber these days since my strokes. I'm struggling to figure out how to get bias frames, flats, darks, etc. into StarTools.
I will begin to read the latest docs from start to finish but reading is somewhat a challenge these days. In case you get this before I finish the docs (that was a joke), can you point me in the right direction, or tell me if I need another tool which runs on Linux to facilitate their incorporation into my input files?

I hope you are well, this virus thing has the U.S. population acting like kids afraid of the dark. I guess living 70 years with thousands taken by influenza each year makes a fellow ambivalent about things.

Oh, I've liked the changes you've made since I first bought your product. I think you should charge more for it. If I can get good results, anyone should be able to. BTW, are you on astrobin? I never thought to look.

Regards,
Troy
happy-kat

Post by happy-kat »

Hi.
This page has links to various user documents or youtube videos.
https://www.startools.org/links--tutorials

If you are using Linux you could look at using Siirlic for stacking your lights with your calibration files, and there is a link to using it here.
https://www.startools.org/links--tutori ... -tutorials

Calibration files, on your imaging device then:
Darks same as lights ISO, exposure, aperture but lens cap on take at least 30
Bias files use same ISO and same aperture, Lens cap on then fastest possible exposure time take at least 30
Flats same ISO same aperture lens cap off, then exposure length is what ever needed for the light histogram to be in the middle take at least 30
Dark flats, same as Flats but lens can on take at least 30

Hope this helps.
KF7DS

Post by KF7DS »

I am new to astrophotography and StarTools and after watching several videos and reading the manual and guide, successfully processed my first image - M27, which turned out much better than I expected (happy dance).

I learned most from Ron Konrads video of processing Jim Misti's M31 data - that video put me over the hump as it demonstrated how important individualized masks can be for quite a few of the modules. His narration and pace of presentation were excellent. Also watched his YT video of processing the Bubble Nebula...wish he would post more.

I have viewed most videos on YouTube and noticed that some refer to a StarTools FB User Group? Since I do not do FB, I would only be inclined to join if it would add something more than the StarTools.org forum, otherwise I would prefer not to join FB. Wish there was a Groups.Io StarTools user forum.

Just wanted some feedback as to how active and useful the StarTools FB group is?

Thanks,
Don
KF7DS
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi Don,

Great to hear you're getting along with StarTools!

I have no views on how useful the FB may or may not be, though you should absolutely be able to get by by just perusing and contributing to the forums here.

So, any questions, let us know!

Ivo
Ivo Jager
Wildcat_Pines

Post by Wildcat_Pines »

Hello Ivo,

It's been awhile since I've been on here when we were working out a scaling problem that I was having because my laptop resolution was very high and everything was showing way to small to read.

I downloaded a new version (1.8.527MR2) but my license doesn't seem to make it a paid copy so I guess it's been too long and I'll have to start all over. Is that correct?

A word on the scaling issue past... The demo that I downloaded scales perfectly but the resolution of the icons and text seems poor. I haven't noticed any reduced resolution on the image however. Is there a way I can fix the icons and text?

Thanks,

JE
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi JE,
Wildcat_Pines wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 11:32 pm I downloaded a new version (1.8.527MR2) but my license doesn't seem to make it a paid copy so I guess it's been too long and I'll have to start all over. Is that correct?
Any StarTools license - at the very least - should put your copy into "courtesy mode", so it is likely either your license file is corrupt or cannot be read for some other reason (has it been renamed for some reasons?). Do let me know if you'd like me to resend your license.
A word on the scaling issue past... The demo that I downloaded scales perfectly but the resolution of the icons and text seems poor. I haven't noticed any reduced resolution on the image however. Is there a way I can fix the icons and text?
Check out this FAQ item. Any trouble, do let me know!

Welcome back & wishing you clear skies!
Ivo Jager
astroimagery

Post by astroimagery »

Just been accepted as a new member. I am glad to be here. As a newbie in this forum is there anything I need to know before I get posting? I'm an experienced astrophotographer and educator and am looking for collaboration and a chance to help where I can. See you on the inside!
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

astroimagery wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 8:01 am Just been accepted as a new member. I am glad to be here. As a newbie in this forum is there anything I need to know before I get posting? I'm an experienced astrophotographer and educator and am looking for collaboration and a chance to help where I can. See you on the inside!
Welcome Karl, great to have you!
Any and all positive and constructive contributions are welcome.

Clear skies!
Ivo Jager