1.7.430 alpha with new Super Structure module (Life replacement)

General discussion about StarTools.
admin
Site Admin

Re: 1.7.430 alpha with new Super Structure module (Life replacement)

Post by admin »

fmeireso wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 10:25 pm I had issues with the isolate routine. It would not listen to the mask i set.
But module did not crash , i used it several times, no crashing...
The mask issue should now hopefully resolved in 1.7.434 (please be careful with selective processing!)
dariv wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 12:53 pm Super Structure module crashes on my PC too. I've tried two times on two different sets of data and shortly after the module starts processing, Star Tools exits without any warnings or popups on screen.
1.7.434 implements some possible fixes. Is it behaving any better?
PaulE54 wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 8:57 am When I launched new superstructure module the PC (windows 10/64 desktop) shut down and rebooted.
Not to be alarmist, but a complete shut down by the PC can be a symptom of hardware failure.
An application error should never be able to shut down or reboot the system, unless hardware failed to operate correctly.
Causes for this behavior may include overheating of the CPU or GPU (check your thermal interfaces and cooling solution), insufficient or out-of-spec power dellivery to the CPU or GPU (check your PSU), or an unstable overclock of the CPU or GPU. StarTools severely stresses your hardware and will quickly lay bare any such problems where other applications will not.
Ivo Jager
StarTools creator and astronomy enthusiast
dariv

Post by dariv »

Still closes out of ST when I get to the super structure module with newest .434
happy-kat

Post by happy-kat »

I too have had this module shut ST down on me 1.7.4.34a
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

dariv wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 12:43 pm Still closes out of ST when I get to the super structure module with newest .434
Very odd... Does it close consistently or just randomly?
Does it close immediately as soon as you launch it?
Ivo Jager
dariv

Post by dariv »

When I get to the module in sequence after color, the module opens and I see the different options. The cursor spins for a few seconds and then ST just closes without warning. Happens everytime
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

dariv wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 2:34 pm When I get to the module in sequence after color, the module opens and I see the different options. The cursor spins for a few seconds and then ST just closes without warning. Happens everytime
Ok. I will investigate and see what card I have that is closest to your Quadro.
Ivo Jager
dariv

Post by dariv »

BTW, this is the same computer I've used with ST for years. It has worked up until the release of the super structure module
Russ.Carpenter

Post by Russ.Carpenter »

Hi Ivo,

I've been experimenting with the Super Structure module on my iMac, running the most recent Mac OS. First, I did a quick and dirty processing of a test file. Then I tried all five presets at their default values. My Mac didn't crash, freeze, or otherwise falter, but I got some interesting results. I need to mention that the camera I was using down at Chilescope has recently been acting pretty weird, producing narrow white vertical lines through the centers of the brighter stars. You will see them in my test shots.

Here is the original image:
Before.jpg
Before.jpg (61.62 KiB) Viewed 4018 times
Dim
Dim.jpg
Dim.jpg (56.74 KiB) Viewed 4018 times
Saturate
Saturate.jpg
Saturate.jpg (67.03 KiB) Viewed 4018 times
Please see the next post for the remaining files.
Russ.Carpenter

Post by Russ.Carpenter »

Isolate
Isolate.jpg
Isolate.jpg (56.2 KiB) Viewed 4018 times
Airy
Airy.jpg
Airy.jpg (69.64 KiB) Viewed 4018 times
Brighten
Brighten.jpg
Brighten.jpg (60.99 KiB) Viewed 4017 times
I hope this is useful. I apologize for the low res and small size of the images, but the size limitations on this forum are severe.

Russ
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Russ.Carpenter wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 12:03 am I hope this is useful. I apologize for the low res and small size of the images, but the size limitations on this forum are severe.
Thank you Russ - that's very useful. Is this with the very latest 1.7.434 version?
I fixed a bug in that latest version that I think would cause these psychedelic renderings...
Ivo Jager