1.7.430 alpha with new Super Structure module (Life replacement)

General discussion about StarTools.
Russ.Carpenter

Re: 1.7.430 alpha with new Super Structure module (Life replacement)

Post by Russ.Carpenter »

I just double checked, and I did use 1.7.434.

By the way, you have got to be the most productive software person on the planet.

Russ
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

The Super Structure module in version 1.7.435 is now a lot more friendly on more modest GPUs.
I believe the problem has been a combination of driver watchdog timeouts as well as allocating too much memory.
More capable GPUs will chew through the load way before the timeout occurs, while also having no problem allocating lots of memory.
I am now chopping up the "problem" a bit more, giving more modest GPUs a better chance of processing a dataset in time, while also cutting down on concurrent memory use.
Russ.Carpenter wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 2:45 am By the way, you have got to be the most productive software person on the planet.
:lol:
I try!
Ivo Jager
StarTools creator and astronomy enthusiast
dariv

Post by dariv »

435 works for me, thanks!
-DaRiv
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

dariv wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 12:23 pm 435 works for me, thanks!
-DaRiv
Doing a little happy dance here right now. Thank you for the good news! :obscene-drinkingcheers:
Ivo Jager
happy-kat

Post by happy-kat »

wow I login to look and get latest alpha and it is 1.7.436a

I have managed to do a process all the way through using GPU version and use decon and 'new' life, only had one crash when adjusting dark pixel by the arrow on wipe. I did all following adjustments by picking onto the bars and waiting before my next move.
1074j

Post by 1074j »

I must say the Super Structure module and the GPU modifications in 1.7.436 are great. I was able to process an image quickly and without a crash! Excellent work.
https://www.astrobin.com/full/ar9961/0/
Russ.Carpenter

Post by Russ.Carpenter »

I just tested Super Structure with 1.7.436. I was using my iMac, running the most recent Mac OS. Each of the presets seemed to work as expected, except for Airy. As shown below, Airy produced a super fuzzy image. It might be operator error, because I don't actually know the purpose or proper settings for Airy. Otherwise, the iMac didn't crash, freeze, or otherwise misbehave.

Russ
Attachments
Airy.jpg
Airy.jpg (51.06 KiB) Viewed 4045 times
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Russ.Carpenter wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 11:28 pm I just tested Super Structure with 1.7.436. I was using my iMac, running the most recent Mac OS. Each of the presets seemed to work as expected, except for Airy. As shown below, Airy produced a super fuzzy image. It might be operator error, because I don't actually know the purpose or proper settings for Airy. Otherwise, the iMac didn't crash, freeze, or otherwise misbehave.

Russ
Thanks Russ!
The Airy disc preset is indeed meant to look fuzzy (though I'm seeing some strange arifacts in that image...).
This is your input image convolved by an Airy disc, which mimics the way light is diffracted by circular opening (e.g. a telescope). It is a specific signature that produces a pleasant, larger scale glow around bright objects and is what you see when you look at a bright star through a telescope. While image processsing though, stretching and local detail enhancement often (usually) destroys this glow and can make an image feel artificial and lifeless. This fuzzy image is the basis for all other manipulations that the Super Structure module performs. E.g. this preset is a starting point for "rolling your own" manipulations.

That said, the image should be completely smooth and should not exhibit those lines I can see in your image... :think:
Ivo Jager
Russ.Carpenter

Post by Russ.Carpenter »

Hi Ivo,

Thanks for the guidance. I believe the vertical lines are sensor defects. You can see them in Autodev, but they disappear in a processed image. I try to get rid of these streaks with a defect map in PixInsight, but it's not a perfect solution. Recently, different kinds of streaks have started to appear In the cameras at Chilescope and I haven't yet figured out what's going on. Time to have a little talk with the folks who run the operation.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Russ.Carpenter wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 6:27 pm Hi Ivo,

Thanks for the guidance. I believe the vertical lines are sensor defects. You can see them in Autodev, but they disappear in a processed image. I try to get rid of these streaks with a defect map in PixInsight, but it's not a perfect solution. Recently, different kinds of streaks have started to appear In the cameras at Chilescope and I haven't yet figured out what's going on. Time to have a little talk with the folks who run the operation.
Good to know about the streaks. Have you tried the new Wipe module's Defective Sensor Columns setting to get rid of them?
Ivo Jager