1.7.430 alpha with new Super Structure module (Life replacement)

General discussion about StarTools.
admin
Site Admin

1.7.430 alpha with new Super Structure module (Life replacement)

Post by admin »

Hi all,

It's that time again where I offer up the latest re-write/replacement. This time it's the Life module.
It has been re-written from the ground up with a much faster model generation algorithm, which is particularly quick on GPUs.
The much faster processing times and new presets (making better use of old and new functionality) should hopefully make it much easier to take advantage of this module, as well as invite experimentation.

To recap what the Super Structure module does;
The Super Structure module isolates super structures (such as very large scale nebulosity, galaxies and spiral arms) and allows you to manipulate these super structures in varying ways, independently of the rest of the image.

Uses include pushing back busy star fields obscuring super structures, emphasising super structures, or enhancing colouring in super structures.

The super structure model is constructed by remodelling uniform light diffraction of the input image. Throughout the various processing stages, light diffraction (a subtle 'glow' cause by diffraction by a circular opening, also known as an Airy disc profile) may be distorted and suppressed through the various ways dynamic range is manipulated. The Super Structure module restores light diffraction uniformly throughout a processed image, which can be used to impart a subtle depth and ambience to an image that is hard to restore or retain otherwise

Having many uses for final image presentation after colour and detail have been brought out to taste, the usage of the Super Structure module is chiefly recommended as one of the last processing steps. The use of a mask is possible for selective processing, however if uncompromised documentary value of the final image is desired (e.g. the image is to be presented as a photo, rather than art), then relying on the model as extracted from the dataset itself is highly preferable.
SuperStructure4panel.jpg
SuperStructure4panel.jpg (483.54 KiB) Viewed 5716 times
(Upper left: original, upper right: Brightness preset, bottom left: Dim Small preset, bottom right: Saturate)

The venerable Isolate preset is also still available, but now has a cousin that retains apparent brightness too.
Overall, like its predecessor, it is a great module to give extra dramatic effect to your images in a way that can be elusive with other tools.

Clear skies!
Ivo Jager
StarTools creator and astronomy enthusiast
AndyBooth

Re: 1.7.430 alpha with new Super Structure module (Life replacement)

Post by AndyBooth »

Looks fantastic!
Is this better done before or after colour module?
Thank you!
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

AndyBooth wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 7:25 am Looks fantastic!
Is this better done before or after colour module?
Thank you!
It's up to you, but if you want colour manipulated as well, you will want to do this after the Color module (that's why it occurs on the home screen after the Color module when the buttons/icons are read left-to-right, top-to-bottom).
Ivo Jager
AndyBooth

Post by AndyBooth »

Thanks Ivo!
Downloading now😀
hixx

Post by hixx »

Hi Ivo,
just downloaded this. Changelog states 1.7.430, but the actual ST opens as 1.7.429 as per display bottom left. Please kindly advise
regards,
jochen
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

hixx wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 5:15 pm Hi Ivo,
just downloaded this. Changelog states 1.7.430, but the actual ST opens as 1.7.429 as per display bottom left. Please kindly advise
regards,
jochen
Apologies for the glitch. I just made an update, fixing some other small things as well.
Ivo Jager
PaulE54

Post by PaulE54 »

First attempt to use this (on a normal OSC image) was fine. On second attempt to use, I processed an OSC image taken through a triband filter using compose. When I launched new superstructure module the PC (windows 10/64 desktop) shut down and rebooted. May be a complete coincidence, I will retry and update. Can't see anything in event logs.

Update - second attempt I saved work to date after Colour module. No problems this time, new superstructure module works well.

Paul
Carles

Post by Carles »

I've just downloaded and tested it...and the application shuts down itself right after starting the new module.
I've tried also with an image that was already half processed and same. As I go to Super Structure, it starts
calculating then suddenly closes.

Windows 7 laptop, i7.620M GPU310M. 8Gb Ram.
StarTools version 1.7.431

Carles.
dariv

Post by dariv »

Super Structure module crashes on my PC too. I've tried two times on two different sets of data and shortly after the module starts processing, Star Tools exits without any warnings or popups on screen.
Dell Precision 7510
Win10 pro v1909
core i7-6920HQ CPU
Quadro M2000M
Intel HD Graphics 530
32GB ram
fmeireso

Post by fmeireso »

I had issues with the isolate routine. It would not listen to the mask i set.

But module did not crash , i used it several times, no crashing...