Bicolour Total Exposure

General discussion about StarTools.
Melty

Bicolour Total Exposure

Post by Melty »

Hi,

I was wondering, using the Compose module, what would my total exposure be if I was processing 28680s of Ha with one mono filter and 15840s of Oiii with another mono filter?

After selecting "L+ Synthetic L from RGB, R(GB)(GB) (Bi-Color)", Do I simply load the Oiii as 15840s in the blue channel and then 15840 into the green channel, or 7920s into blue and 7920s into green?

Please note, this is data via a mono camera and separate filters and not one of the duoband filters through an OSC camera.

I seem to get rather disappointingly washed out colour with whichever way I choose to process and can't figure out why. Colour seemed better saturated with my OSC and l-enhance using open instead of the compose module.

Thanks
admin
Site Admin

Re: Bicolour Total Exposure

Post by admin »

Hi,

Apologies for the delay in getting back to you.

You would load 15840s of O-III in either blue or green, but not both.
You want your O-III to be counted only once when it is added to the Ha signal for synthetic luminance purposes.
Meanwhile, for color purposed, green = G+B, and blue = G+B as well, so the O-III will be used in both the blue and green channels equally for coloring purposes. With Ha in the red channel, this yields the default red/cyan bi-coloring.
I seem to get rather disappointingly washed out colour with whichever way I choose to process and can't figure out why. Colour seemed better saturated with my OSC and l-enhance using open instead of the compose module.
That sounds very strange - there should be very little difference and even if there was, the myriad of options in the Color module should allow for any type of saturation selection you see fit.

Would you be able to share the dataset with me?
Ivo Jager
StarTools creator and astronomy enthusiast