Setting up StartTools to use the right GPU

General discussion about StarTools.
blashbazook

Setting up StartTools to use the right GPU

Post by blashbazook »

Hi,

I have a desktop which has Intel UHD Graphics 630 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX3060Ti. I would like to use the NVIDIA GPU with StarTools but StarTools automatically connects to the Intel one. I asked around, and FB suggested that I connect my monitor to the output from the NVIDIA GPU and StarTools would start using the NVIDIA one. This actually worked.

But recently, I played around with the NVIDIA Graphics settings. Not too much - Just one or two. Then I reverted them all back cause I dont really know what those are for anyway. After a few days of using ST since then, I noticed that ST went back to connecting to Intel. If I disable the Intel in Device manager->Display adapters, then ST would connect to the NVIDIA GPU.

Does anyone know how to control which GPU ST connects to?

Regards,
Ash
admin
Site Admin

Re: Setting up StartTools to use the right GPU

Post by admin »

Hi Ash,

It is possible to force a GPU solutions switch through some undocumented functionality;

You can override the default vendor selection by creating a file named 'openclplatformindex.cfg' (please make sure it has exactly that name, including its extension) and putting the number '0' or the number '1' in there. This lets you use different OpenCL platforms/vendors/drivers in your system.

There is also similar functionality via a file named 'opencldeviceindex.cfg'. Same thing - put a '0' or '1' in there. This lets you use different devices from the same vendor, running the same driver.

Hope this helps!
Ivo Jager
StarTools creator and astronomy enthusiast
blashbazook

Post by blashbazook »

Thanks for the reply Ivo. Sorry, I am not very tech savvy. Where should I place this file? In the Startools directory?
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

blashbazook wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 4:18 pm In the Startools directory?
Correct, e.g. it should sit amongst the other files (executables, 'resources' file, 'CHANGELOG' file, etc.).
Ivo Jager
StarTools creator and astronomy enthusiast