[WANTED] 1.8 alpha test subjects!

General discussion about StarTools.
Astroscapist

Re: [WANTED] 1.8 alpha test subjects!

Post by Astroscapist »

Deconvolution is no longer as strong as it used to be when I apply it on the moon and sun. Even of I det the radius setting very high it still is weaker.

/Stefan
/Stefan
I use AstroPixelProcessor, Startools and PS to edit my images
Burly

Post by Burly »

I think I sussed out why I was having trouble getting colours to pop originally and I think this was because I was using stars to colour balance , I’m assuming the Nb channel may effect colour balance Ivo , not balancing stars seems the effect seems to work better , would that make sense to you Ivo .
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Astroscapist wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 5:16 am Deconvolution is no longer as strong as it used to be when I apply it on the moon and sun. Even of I det the radius setting very high it still is weaker.

/Stefan
Hmmm... That doesn't sound right - decon should yield better results than 1.7 even for planetary, solar and lunar datasets. Would you be able to show an example as well as provide the settings used?

You should see more detail, less noise, less ringing. However you may have to significantly increase the amount of iterations. And, of course, make sure that you are deconvolving linear data (e.g. if you used a video source, check that the dataset was not stretched, else undo the stretch upon import).
Ivo Jager
StarTools creator and astronomy enthusiast
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Burly wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 5:33 am I think I sussed out why I was having trouble getting colours to pop originally and I think this was because I was using stars to colour balance , I’m assuming the Nb channel may effect colour balance Ivo , not balancing stars seems the effect seems to work better , would that make sense to you Ivo .
To be clear, the NBAccent module should be applied after the Color module... Is that indeed what you are doing?
Ivo Jager
Burly

Post by Burly »

admin wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 8:12 am
Burly wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 5:33 am I think I sussed out why I was having trouble getting colours to pop originally and I think this was because I was using stars to colour balance , I’m assuming the Nb channel may effect colour balance Ivo , not balancing stars seems the effect seems to work better , would that make sense to you Ivo .
To be clear, the NBAccent module should be applied after the Color module... Is that indeed what you are doing?
Yes Ivo maybe it’s me but last night I was practicing on m33 data , I struggled with making red pop if I sampled stars I then redone without balancing and it seemed to pop , did you sample stars when you done it , I will redo and save image with and without sampling and send logs if it fails to pop the red channel .

Update - ignore above ivo all seems fine ivo working in both modes .
Last edited by Burly on Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Russ.Carpenter

Post by Russ.Carpenter »

I have been sending detailed reports to Ivo by email, but I just wanted to let the community know that I haven't had any issues running 1.8 on my iMac (OS 11.4) or my M1 laptop. Yay!

Russ
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Russ.Carpenter wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 1:53 pm I have been sending detailed reports to Ivo by email, but I just wanted to let the community know that I haven't had any issues running 1.8 on my iMac (OS 11.4) or my M1 laptop. Yay!

Russ
Particularly hearing that StarTools now works on M1/ARM CPUs made my day!
:happy-partydance:
Ivo Jager
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

New version available; just change the 3 into 4 in the previous download link you were sent ;)
  • Fixed crashes in SVDecon module
  • Further tweaks to Denoise module
  • Improved SVDecon module UI
  • Tweaked SVDecon PSF spatial variance modelling algorithm
It incorporates a good bit of all your feedback/suggestions for the SVDecon module.
Documentation was updated accordingly.

Thank you all - I feel like I'm developing with a team of 25! :bow-yellow:
Ivo Jager
Russ.Carpenter

Post by Russ.Carpenter »

I just want to say that the SVDcon module is plain and simply brilliant, on both by iMac and M1 laptop. To the extent that a little noise is added, it is easily removed in DeNoise. Thank you, Ivo!

Russ
Troy Galebach

Post by Troy Galebach »

I don't think this should go here, but I'm willing to be a tester. Perhaps that's a good thing because I had a stroke several years ago, and am no longer the brightest bulb on the tree. If I can make it run, anyone can. ;)

BUT

I have a new machine, ordered with a GPU but I can't get the Linux 64 GPU executable to load. It becomes greyed out and just sits there.
The GPU is a 12 GB GeForce RTX 3060 with 3584 CUDA Cores. Any idea why it won't load? Is it not supported? Inquiring minds want to know so I can send it back if it won't run StarTools, that was the only reason I ordered a GPU.

Ivo HELP!

Regards,
Troy Galebach