admin
Site Admin

Re: [WANTED] 1.8 alpha test subjects!

Post by admin »

bonzodog wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 9:04 am hopefully not too late -
but love to be involved
best regards
David
No problem, and thank you for participating! You should receive an email shortly.
Ivo Jager
StarTools creator and astronomy enthusiast
Burly

Post by Burly »

admin wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 3:33 pm Many thanks all!

I would also be quite interested in hearing from people doing visual spectrum photography with narrowband enhancement.
The new "Narrowband Accent" module (name tentative) is giving some really nice results with the datasets I have at hand, but the more testing, the better.
StarTools_610.jpg
StarTools_609.jpg

I'd also be interested in exploring duo/tri/quadband enhancement of visual spectrum data. I don't really have any datasets at hand for this though...
Ivo do you have the workflow for the m33 data your showing im assuming this is the sgl data cant seem to get the red to pop using the ha accent module like your showing .

dave
Mike in Rancho

Post by Mike in Rancho »

Hi Ivo,
Well I don't know if I'm sufficiently skilled or prolific, but I do have a decent number of completed logs in my 7.461MR6 folder, and that's all of just two months I think?
So if you need any more testers, would be happy to put the alpha through some exercising.
Mike
AndyBooth

Post by AndyBooth »

Ivo, can you share the m33 RGB and HA data set somewhere?
Or does anyone else have a galaxy and ha region data set to share?
Thanks!
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Burly wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 7:27 pm Ivo do you have the workflow for the m33 data your showing im assuming this is the sgl data cant seem to get the red to pop using the ha accent module like your showing .
Indeed that's the SGL data.

In the Compose module, start off with importing L, R, G and B as usual, and import the Ha as NB Accent. Get hold of the second ("v2") Ha upload, as the first one was poorly calibrated (had some squiggles in the top left corner). Set the exposure times for R, G and B to a third of what you specify for L. All the other setting should be good at their defaults.

(Note that you really need signal that is entirely different from the other things you are importing (e.g. don't import Ha if you already used Ha for, say, your luminance). See the docs for the specific use cases for the NBAccent module.)

Do the usual, Crop, Bin (if you want to speed things up), Wipe (I used the Vignetting preset, as the flat calibration seems to be uncharacteristically poor for this one). In the Wipe module, you should be able to see your narrowband data (Luminance/Color/NrwBand button) for the first time; it gets wiped along with the luminance and chrominance at the same time.

AutoDev for final stretch. Do anything else you want to the detail. Continue on to the Color module, get your colors into shape as normal.

Now you can launch the NBAccent module. It should open with a screen that looks similar to AutoDev, and will be showing where (and how much) narrowband will be added. Bring out the detail, and try to keep any background noise to a minimum. Worst case you can unceremoniously clip it with the Threshold parameter. Something like this;
StarTools_259.png
StarTools_259.png (516.42 KiB) Viewed 4379 times
Click Next, and you should see the galaxy with red Ha accents added. You can use the Galaxy preset for some settings that are good for gas knots in galaxies (as is the case here). You can use the Gamma parameter to further boost the prevalence of Ha. You should be able to make it as strong or subtle as you wish;
StarTools_627.jpg
StarTools_627.jpg (219.51 KiB) Viewed 4379 times
Note you can simulate many different accents and bands. For example, you can choose the HII/Balmer Series (Red/Purple) to make the accents look like you captured extra visual spectrum data (this mode adds correlated Hydrogen beta, gamma, delta, and epsilon emissions). If you have duoband data, you can add two types of accents at the same time.

Hope this helps!
AndyBooth wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 7:37 am Ivo, can you share the m33 RGB and HA data set somewhere?
Or does anyone else have a galaxy and ha region data set to share?
Hi Andy,

You can find a great dataset here (referred to above as the "SGL data"), courtesy of the fine folks of the IKI Observatory;
https://stargazerslounge.com/topic/3732 ... arch-2021/
Mike in Rancho wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 6:42 am Hi Ivo,
Well I don't know if I'm sufficiently skilled or prolific, but I do have a decent number of completed logs in my 7.461MR6 folder, and that's all of just two months I think?
So if you need any more testers, would be happy to put the alpha through some exercising.
Mike
Absolutely Mike - thank you for your interest. Email coming your way shortly.
Ivo Jager
StarTools creator and astronomy enthusiast
AndyBooth

Post by AndyBooth »

Thanks Ivo!
AndyBooth

Post by AndyBooth »

Well here is my take.
I wanted to bring out as much stellar spiral arm structure as possible, so pushed the new decon hard.
I think this new functionality is great, works very well across the field, and easy to use.
I was also only subtle on the Ha in the new NB accent module.

Had to compress alot to post!
No hangups or CTD’s.
Attachments
F47BCE29-5706-4F23-8303-63D212C29119.jpeg
F47BCE29-5706-4F23-8303-63D212C29119.jpeg (507.11 KiB) Viewed 4368 times
Burly

Post by Burly »

Cheers Ivo I will re look into this I’m sure I have v2 data
Burly

Post by Burly »

Thanks Ivo cracked it :obscene-drinkingcheers: just a quick process will have another go at a full process
Attachments
CF2F8EAE-C2C3-422C-9ABA-4E2B47CA6406.jpeg
CF2F8EAE-C2C3-422C-9ABA-4E2B47CA6406.jpeg (358.1 KiB) Viewed 4352 times