Saving image as Mono

General discussion about StarTools.
Startrek

Saving image as Mono

Post by Startrek »

I use Startools V1.7 and image with a ZWOASI2600MC
When I process my image using the centre tab ( Linear , OSC DSLR with Bayer matrix not white balanced ) tracking starts and I process the image in “Mono”

Is this “Mono” image during processing deemed luminance or synthetic luminance or Mono

I’d just like the correct terminology as sometimes I save the completed image without using the colour module as certain objects have fine details and are better presented in “mono” look

Await your advice on the above
Thanks in advance
admin
Site Admin

Re: Saving image as Mono

Post by admin »

Hi,

The "mono" image you are seeing is the result of the following weighting;

L = (R + 2xG + B) / 4

It is a synthetic luminance rendition that most accurately reflects the signal (and noise) that was captured by your sensor behind its Bayer matrix.

So, "mono" refers to it not having any colour, however it does represent your dataset's (synthetic) luminance component.

I hope that makes sense!
Ivo Jager
StarTools creator and astronomy enthusiast
Startrek

Post by Startrek »

Ivo,
Thanks for the explanation
I assumed it was a synthetic luminance but wanted to confirm
I noticed your working on V1.8
Can you let out any secrets what this next version has install for us
My wish list or request in the next upgrade was to eliminate star bloat when you use HDR Soft or Hard Optimise
Thanks for replying so quickly
Martin
( aka Startrek)
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Startrek wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 7:33 am I noticed your working on V1.8
Can you let out any secrets what this next version has install for us
The major two improvements you will find in the pending first alpha (only one or two weeks away :occasion-partyblower: ), are a world-first Spatially Variant PSF deconvolution module (it can model and reverse distortions that vary across the image), and a new narrowband accents module (processes narrowband data in parallel to luminance and chrominance, with the goal to use its content as accents for visual spectrum data - think Ha gas knots in galaxies for example).

Make sure you check this thread if you're interested in the alpha.
My wish list or request in the next upgrade was to eliminate star bloat when you use HDR Soft or Hard Optimise
It's on my list. 1.8 has some way to go yet to get to all the quality-of-life improvements, but a first cut of the major new additions is getting close to completion now!
Ivo Jager
StarTools creator and astronomy enthusiast
Startrek

Post by Startrek »

Thanks Ivo
👍