1.8 closed alpha feedback

General discussion about StarTools.
Troy Galebach

Re: 1.8 closed alpha feedback

Post by Troy Galebach »

Ivo and those interested

Because I only use data from a OSC, my work pattern may miss things others are noticing. That said, I haven't had any hangs/crashes in the hours I've spent using the program. These are the items I've encountered thus far under Ubuntu 20.04.

1. I can’t double click the executable and run it, I have to use the command line

2. When using the Svdecon module for planetary objects the I clear the Apod mask but the info line at the bottom of the screen still says “Synthetic mode engaged, add samples...etc.” should it?

3. I use a Samba mount to keep files. I was working on a local resident file, and decided to open a file on my Samba mount point, when I tried to open the file, StarTools didn’t show the Samba mount point. Is this an O/S problem, or are you not refreshing the Directory tree before opening the file search window? The Samba mount point shows in my system file manager. I closed StarTools, reopened, and it still doesn’t see my Samba mount. It’s a nit I know.

4. I noticed some odd star shapes in Svdecon, it might be me pushing StarTools with poor data. When I got to that point though, I was sure wishing for a reset button as I couldn't find a way to start over on the oddly shaped/deformed stars. I notice others have encountered similar issues with odd stars/cores in stars, etc., but I haven't had a freeze or crash. Perhaps it's because I have a new and fast machine with 24 thread capability? It's pretty fast, so if it is a selecting too quick issue, maybe I wouldn't see it?

Regards,
Troy
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Thank you all for all your help! I just released 1.8.506 alpha publicly (see download section). It has a few more fixes (as well as a couple of new goodies).
Carles wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 6:20 pm I've kept pressing x and it kept overwritint the remaining existing 3 screenshots, then started making new (5, 6...) is that a bug? or a feature?
It was meant as a feature :) I should probably put that in the documentation...
Troy Galebach wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 12:52 pm 4. I noticed some odd star shapes in Svdecon, it might be me pushing StarTools with poor data. When I got to that point though, I was sure wishing for a reset button as I couldn't find a way to start over on the oddly shaped/deformed stars. I notice others have encountered similar issues with odd stars/cores in stars, etc., but I haven't had a freeze or crash. Perhaps it's because I have a new and fast machine with 24 thread capability? It's pretty fast, so if it is a selecting too quick issue, maybe I wouldn't see it?
Thank you for your feedback Troy. 1-3 seem to be OS-specific issues and (un)fortunately fall outside the realm of StarTools' development.
As for 4, try the latest alpha and see if the problem is ameliorated. Thanks again!
Ivo Jager
StarTools creator and astronomy enthusiast
Carles

Post by Carles »

admin wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 6:03 am Thank you all for all your help! I just released 1.8.506 alpha publicly (see download section). It has a few more fixes (as well as a couple of new goodies).
Carles wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 6:20 pm I've kept pressing x and it kept overwritint the remaining existing 3 screenshots, then started making new (5, 6...) is that a bug? or a feature?
It was meant as a feature :) I should probably put that in the documentation...
Thanks for your ansewr Ivo,
Right... too bad, I'll take it into account for next time I want screenshots ^^;..

Thanks for the last version 1.8.506 , will test it straight away! :D

Clear skies
Carles
Troy Galebach

Post by Troy Galebach »

Ivo,

I just want to say that I'm a happy StarTools user. I'll be downloading the latest alpha, and giving it a try.
Thanks for your continued development efforts, your Software is a joy to use compared to the other products with similar capabilities.

Regards,
Troy