Wipe module blowing up color balance

General discussion about StarTools.
goldspider

Wipe module blowing up color balance

Post by goldspider »

I typically stack my data in Astro Pixel Processor and use the "remove light pollution" tool before taking it to Startools. This data is usually close to color balanced and gradient-free. When I use the Wipe module, it appears to do a pretty good job with removing any residual light pollution, but in the process makes the data very red. I can correct this fairly well in the Color module, but I feel like this may be destroying accurate color detail unnecessarily, especially since the "correct brightness only" option in Startools 1.5 did a fantastic job of removing the gradient without affecting color balance.

Any thoughts on how I can improve my process?
hixx

Re: Wipe module blowing up color balance

Post by hixx »

Hi goldspider,
In APP you should stay away from remove Light pollution tool. Wipe is basically doing 2 jobs: removing the gradient and setting color balance for blackpoint (background neutralization). Employing both tools means doing the same job twice, yielding poor results. Wipe is to be preferred because it operates under Tracking so other modules down the road will be able to use its per pixel stats. Using APP tools would make them fly blind.
In APP you should also unselect "neutralize background" (tab5) and "reduce Amp glow" (tab2), both would interfere with Wipe's operation
hope this helps,
jochen
goldspider

Post by goldspider »

Thank you Jochen.

I will run the data through APP again without those options enabled. Stacks from DSS do the same thing, though I might also have some neutralization options enabled there too. Thanks for reminding me!

Adam
goldspider

Post by goldspider »

A quick run through DSS with calibration/normalization options disabled certainly made a huge difference in how Wipe affected color balance. That really re-enforces the idea that Startools wants data that hasn't been altered in any way.

Thanks for the tip!