Mask > create a lasso area > select grow blob, mas, grows > select shrink blob
expected: mask selected area to shrink all around the edge inwards
bu what happened was the mask shrinks at a single selected pixel level
admin
Site Admin

Re: StarTools 1.8.511 public alpha/preview 3 now out

Post by admin »

1.8.511 now up with some fixes and additions;
  • Fixed UI becoming non-responsive to clicks on Windows/macOS in Compose module when loading images while import/compositing code is still running
  • Fixed potential issue that may trigger spinlock-detection on some operating systems (now yielding more often during wait for threads to complete/abort)
  • Screenshot ('x' button) functionality now enumerating cross-sessions, rather than per-sesssion
  • Fixed crash when using presets in Auto mask generator when Tracking is off
  • Now logging SVDecon PSF samples to log (as BASE64)
  • Added BASE64 import of samples to SVDecon module
Have a good weekend!
Ivo Jager
StarTools creator and astronomy enthusiast
Mike in Rancho

Post by Mike in Rancho »

Another Thursday night gift. I'm liking these. Thanks! :D

Already put it through a couple datasets and touch-ups (not my data). :thumbsup:

Have not yet tried compositing, but am looking forward to randomly clicking buttons with impunity. ;)
Melty

Post by Melty »

Hi,

I'm experiencing unusual artifacts around some stars, using the Contrast module - v1.8.510alpha.

Startools Contrast Artifacts.jpg
Startools Contrast Artifacts.jpg (720.83 KiB) Viewed 3624 times
Is this a bug?

I can't see a download for 1.8.511.

Thanks
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Melty wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 10:03 pm I'm experiencing unusual artifacts around some stars, using the Contrast module - v1.8.510alpha.
Is this a bug?
Hmmm... I have not seen this issue before. Is this 100% replicable?
It should be in the download section. Maybe try refreshing the page? (Ctrl + R / CMD + R in most browsers)
Ivo Jager
Melty

Post by Melty »

admin wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 4:46 am
Melty wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 10:03 pm I'm experiencing unusual artifacts around some stars, using the Contrast module - v1.8.510alpha.
Is this a bug?
Hmmm... I have not seen this issue before. Is this 100% replicable?
It should be in the download section. Maybe try refreshing the page? (Ctrl + R / CMD + R in most browsers)
Hi Ivo,

I've never seen it before with any other dataset or previous Startools version, either. Would you like me to link you to my stack? It is repeatable with this stack and Startools version to the point that I can't run the Contrast module within my workflow, at least on my setup.

Ah yes, I see the new version link now - thanks.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Melty wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 9:15 am Would you like me to link you to my stack? It is repeatable with this stack and Startools version to the point that I can't run the Contrast module within my workflow, at least on my setup.
I would greatly appreciate a link to the dataset. Thank you! :bow-yellow:
Ivo Jager
Melty

Post by Melty »

admin wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 2:06 am
Melty wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 9:15 am Would you like me to link you to my stack? It is repeatable with this stack and Startools version to the point that I can't run the Contrast module within my workflow, at least on my setup.
I would greatly appreciate a link to the dataset. Thank you! :bow-yellow:
No problem - PMed

Thanks
Mike in Rancho

Post by Mike in Rancho »

I finally tried NBA in 1.8 last night - wow, had no idea you added this much new complexity on top of SVD. :shock:

Totally cool, but will be a learning curve to get used to it.

I notice there's no exposure time setting for the NB file. Is that because it's superfluous, won't be used for L, and all will all be taken care of by the mini-AutoDev in NBA?

I can confirm though the elsewhere-mentioned disconnect on the color/luminance/narrowband button in Wipe. When a NB file exists, the button acts as a tri-toggle. The button shows what is "next up" if you press it, and the description below the image correctly identified what is being looked at. However, if there is no NB file (i.e. normal old style), the button works properly but says "narrowband" when it should say "luminance." The below-picture description is correct though - luminance/chrominance.

And this might better fit in feature request, but has it ever been considered to have the x and y slider end buttons run continuous on a hold, rather than single click only? Sometimes I run into this if I have ST in a window, such as to look at a log file on the side. The central slider area is pretty compressed, and so clicking on it can only get you into the general desired area. Then you have to use the plus/minus clickers to dial it in, and of course it's...click click click click...sometimes very many. :think:
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Melty wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 1:54 pm No problem - PMed
Many thanks for uploading that - it is much appreciated!
The dataset seems to already been heavily processed (background subtraction and - the culprit here - some sort of color balancing/modification).
Could you tell me how this was pre-processed? Thank you!

Regardless, I was able to replicate the issue. To make a long story short, the coloring is so heavily modified that a color preservation routine in the Contrast module "freaked out" about out-of-gamut colors. Calling that routine is probably not that appropriate at that point in the workflow, and I will implement an alternative routine that is a bit more "dumb".
Ivo Jager