Masks query

General discussion about StarTools.
Lawrence

Masks query

Post by Lawrence »

Hello all

I have been doing some test shots involving putting my Ra camera with a wide-angle 14mm lens on a trip and taking a series of late-night 30 sec images. I produced a resulting stack. The problem is trying to use the mask to cut off unwanted sections. I was able to remove a corner area via lasso. Then I wanted to remove an overhead line. However, my impression was that masks would only let me do one action; the line remained untouched when I changed the mode to 'line + grow'. Am I correct in believing that masks *can* do several different types of masking in one image and that the problem is with me?

TIA

Lawrence Harris
admin
Site Admin

Re: Masks query

Post by admin »

Lawrence wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 10:25 am The problem is trying to use the mask to cut off unwanted sections. I was able to remove a corner area via lasso. Then I wanted to remove an overhead line. However, my impression was that masks would only let me do one action; the line remained untouched when I changed the mode to 'line + grow'. Am I correct in believing that masks *can* do several different types of masking in one image and that the problem is with me?
Hi Lawrence,

I'm not entirely sure what you a trying to do... Are you asking about how to use the mask editor to mask out (or in) different sections of the image? What do you mean by the 'line + grow' mode?

Thank you,
Ivo Jager
StarTools creator and astronomy enthusiast
Lawrence

Post by Lawrence »

Hi Ivo

Query is in two parts:

1 - I used the straight line method to 'mask' an overhead cable. Naturally the cable is wider than the line so I then used the option that allows the line to grow wider - as I mentioned. It did grow wider, which was fine.

2 - I tried to create another mask to exclude a bush in the corner but it appears that only one mask can be created on the image. Is that correct (I don't believe so) or, more likely, did I do something wrong to stop the second mask being created?

TIA

Lawrence Harris
Guy

Post by Guy »

Hi Lawrence,

I've updated the 'Mask Module Use notes here and included a 'Special Techniques' entry under 'Creating a complex mask using multiple Brush Modes and Auto Star Masks'
You can also use 'Open' to load a previously saved mask and then add to that.

Let me know if the notes miss the point or need any clarification.

Guy