CPU/GPU Resource Usage

General discussion about StarTools.
Scottk

CPU/GPU Resource Usage

Post by Scottk »

I am running ST on a Windows 10 laptop with an AMD Ryzen 7 4800 with integrated AMD Radeon Graphics and a dedicated NVidia GTX1660 GPU. In a recent processing session I was monitoring resource usage and noticed that ST was using 100% of my CPU and not utilizing the GPU at all. I am running the Windows-GPU version of 1.8.516.

Should ST have been tapping into my GPU? Is there some setting that is holding it back?

Thanks.
Scott K
Mike in Rancho

Re: CPU/GPU Resource Usage

Post by Mike in Rancho »

Which GPU were you monitoring? And which one does ST say it is using when you start or click info?

My laptop also has a generic and a "performance" GPU chip in there. Intel UHD 620 and Geforce 940MX. For ST I force it to use the performance GPU.

In settings-system-display-graphics settings, you can browse and select the .exe file for ST-GPU, then go into options, and select your high perf GPU.
Scottk

Post by Scottk »

Thanks I'll check that out. I also now see that I should have gone over to the main site where the use of the GPU is explained in more detail.
Scott K
BrendanC

Post by BrendanC »

Also, it might have been that you were running the HDR module, which is supposed to be very CPU-intensive, not so much GPU.
Not so much boldly going as randomly stumbling where plenty of people have been before