Change size of Icons

General discussion about StarTools.
KenSim

Change size of Icons

Post by KenSim »

Hi there, new to StarTools. So far I haven't found anything in the manual, if it's possible to change the size of the icons. Some programs might have 3 different sizes. Something to consider for further versions. To me the lettering on the icons are too small and thin. Take care.
admin
Site Admin

Re: Change size of Icons

Post by admin »

Hi and welcome to the StarTools forum!

To make use of a 4K display, have a look here;

https://www.startools.org/downloads/tec ... k-displays

You can also force StarTools to use the full realestate available to it. To enable this mode, create an empty file called 'largeui' (NOTE: without extension or file type!) in the StarTools folder where the executable is launched from. Re-starting StarTools will now see StarTools maximize the available screen space with bigger icons and text.

Hope this helps!
Ivo Jager
StarTools creator and astronomy enthusiast
KenSim

Post by KenSim »

Thanks. Typed "largeui", made sure to delete .txt. Placed in main folder. Started up StarTools. Worked Ok. I was wondering if I also did the same with "highdpi", would it change the size of the lettering, such as making them slight thicker. But it's better now, Thanks again. Do you think v1.8 will be out before the end of 2021. I hope Jochen Scharmann will update his manual to v1.8. Holding off on printing it out v1.7. Take care.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

KenSim wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 12:31 pm Thanks. Typed "largeui", made sure to delete .txt. Placed in main folder. Started up StarTools. Worked Ok. I was wondering if I also did the same with "highdpi", would it change the size of the lettering, such as making them slight thicker. But it's better now, Thanks again. Do you think v1.8 will be out before the end of 2021. I hope Jochen Scharmann will update his manual to v1.8. Holding off on printing it out v1.7. Take care.
Good to hear! HighDPI will everything bigger (and thicker) according to DPI, e.g. it won't make things extra bold compared to a standard DPI screen.
1.8 will be out in December before the holidays. :thumbsup:
Ivo Jager
hixx

Post by hixx »

Hi KenSim,
there will definately be a 1.8 edition of the manual. It is currently with Ivo for review.

Hi Ivo,
I am still not 100% clear about the difference btwn largegui and highdpi files, because they seem to do exactly the same on my screen: Make buttons, controls and text larger.

jochen
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

hixx wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 10:33 am Hi Ivo,
I am still not 100% clear about the difference btwn largegui and highdpi files, because they seem to do exactly the same on my screen: Make buttons, controls and text larger.
Thanks Jochen,

Their workings are indeed screen-dependent; largeui uses all real-estate to make the controls as big as possible, while highdpi only uses the real-estate to achieve high DPI, but not more.

With regards to the 1.8 manual, I made some updates to the 1.8 website a few days ago (see email I sent you); Some small additions to Compose (mention of NB accents), Crop (mention of NB accents) and SVDecon (misc updates). Other than that, it should be good to go!
Ivo Jager