Installed ST 1.8 x64 GPU get a Host message

General discussion about StarTools.
KenSim

Installed ST 1.8 x64 GPU get a Host message

Post by KenSim »

Hi there, decided to check out v1.8.518 Beta. I get a "HOST MultiPlatForm" Message. "Could not modify tracking data. Please make sure StarTools has read/write permission for folder you are running the application from". Compared the v1.8 folder properties with the v1.7 Folder properties, they are the same. Both are in the Windows 10 "Programs Files" folder in the C Drive.
Mike in Rancho

Re: Installed ST 1.8 x64 GPU get a Host message

Post by Mike in Rancho »

You put ST into Program Files?

A little odd, since there isn't an installer (that I know of). I just extract and it stays in the downloads folder. From the distro subfolder I then copy out a shortcut to the desktop.

My guess is that anything in the more normal user folders (downloads, documents, etc) will have differing permission sets than those in the windows and particularly program files folders. Yet, you say you have it working fine that way for 1.7?

Do you have the same problem if you extract and keep ST in one of your normal user folders, or even just the base C drive?
KenSim

Post by KenSim »

I don't think it matters were you install it, Programs Files (x64) or Program Files (x86) or under C drive root directory. I just installed both St x64 version in the Program Files ( this is where x64 programs are stored by Windows). I even tried making a copy of the v1.7 .trk files to see if this would work. No luck. Do you need a license file in the folder ?.
KenSim

Post by KenSim »

Ok I got it working. Deleted ST v1.8. Reinstalled in the C drive root directory. Then copied the folder into "Program Files". Then copied my "largeui" file from v1.7 to v1.8 to enlarge the icons.
Mike in Rancho

Post by Mike in Rancho »

Glad to hear it! :thumbsup:

But yes you should copy the license into the distro folder of each version you have.

I'm still baffled though. Every ST version I have had (quite a few!) is a stand-alone program - there is no installation. I don't know about mac or linux, but Windows, it's just extracted from a compressed zip. You could literally put it anywhere, though obviously you don't want it inside a subfolder that has access issues. Maybe you somehow inherited permissions the first way, but your second two-step method got around it?

I'd have to think if there's any potential pitfalls for having it in program files, such as a windows restore. But it's always an easy download anyway.
KenSim

Post by KenSim »

When I say "installed", I 'm just un-compressing the files in the same folder as the zip file.