Mask in NB Accent?

General discussion about StarTools.
BrendanC

Mask in NB Accent?

Post by BrendanC »

This isn't a feature request as such, just a query.

I understand that the first part of NB Accent is akin to AutoDev, in that it analyses the entire image. However, for some objects such as galaxies, in a small portion of the image, there really is no need to include, say, Ha across much of it. For example, you probably wouldn't want to be doing NB accents on stars. So, I was wondering why it's not possible just to mask off the rest of the image altogether? You can only get so far with an ROI.

Thanks, Brendan
Not so much boldly going as randomly stumbling where plenty of people have been before
admin
Site Admin

Re: Mask in NB Accent?

Post by admin »

BrendanC wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 2:19 pm This isn't a feature request as such, just a query.

I understand that the first part of NB Accent is akin to AutoDev, in that it analyses the entire image. However, for some objects such as galaxies, in a small portion of the image, there really is no need to include, say, Ha across much of it. For example, you probably wouldn't want to be doing NB accents on stars. So, I was wondering why it's not possible just to mask off the rest of the image altogether? You can only get so far with an ROI.

Thanks, Brendan
We try to avoid manual masking in all modules as much as possible, because any such manual interventions are subjective and taint the documentary value of your image more than needed.

There are a number of settings and safeguards in the NBAccent module that make sure background, noise or non-object related signal is rejected (e.g. 'Threshold', 'Ignore Fine Detail <' , 'Brightness Correlation' and 'Detail Size').

That said, as with any module, you can always use the Layer module to retro-actively apply a mask and blend before-and-after images as you see fit. I can see protecting stars and star color being a legitimate use case for this.
Ivo Jager
StarTools creator and astronomy enthusiast
BrendanC

Re: Mask in NB Accent?

Post by BrendanC »

Thanks Ivo. :)
Not so much boldly going as randomly stumbling where plenty of people have been before