What Linear to start with using a asi2600mc camera

General discussion about StarTools.
bluesilver

What Linear to start with using a asi2600mc camera

Post by bluesilver »

Hi, sorry for the confusing topic there.
I am at a bit of a muddle in deciding what is the correct option to use right at the beginning of this program.
So at the start when you select what image you want to process you get the window that pops up asking from the following 3 options:
Liner
Linear, from OSC/DSLR with Bayer matrix and not white balanced
Non_Linear sRGB source

Now i am using a ZWO asi2600mc ( color camera ) I have two images of the Keyhole Nebular, one without any filters and one with a Optolong L-Pro filter

I am just not 100% sure which one of these three options i am suppose to select though,
I have just moved to this camera from a DSLR which i have been using option 2, Linear, from OSC/DSLR with Bayer matrix and not white balanced
Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks.
Mike in Rancho

Re: What Linear to start with using a asi2600mc camera

Post by Mike in Rancho »

You should be good with the same middle option as long as you are using the same recommended ST practices in your stacker of choice. Of course that is the preferred way of processing OSC since you do it with the created luminance in "compose mode" and don't bring in color until...the color module! :D

You may even be able to "one up" your DSLR, since with the astrocam you can go into the driver settings (native, ASCOM, or as dictated by your acquisition program) and zero out the white balance. It just depends what the default is as to each driver/settings (and often a good reason to take all your subs with the same program). Essentially it's a scaling of red and blue.

In a lot of DSLR's, a certain factory level of red and blue upscaling is actually forced onto the raw data, and you can't get around it. So if you used middle option with that kind of DSLR, now with your astrocam it can be even more of a pure "sensor only" output.
bluesilver

Re: What Linear to start with using a asi2600mc camera

Post by bluesilver »

Appreciate the reply and advice,
I ended up playing around with all three of them and yet to find any real difference in the outcome.
But this is most likely due to limited experience with the program.