StarTools 1.9 preview

General discussion about StarTools.
Mike in Rancho

Re: StarTools 1.9 preview

Post by Mike in Rancho »

Nice Jochen, another data point. :D

I just tested 554 Windows GPU. Setting only largeui true is sufficient to crash automask, regardless of highdpi. Editing the config to highdpi true and largeui false permits normal mask operation.

Yes Derek, June Gloom is strong down here and looks to stay that way for a while. Cross fingers it will change up to a normal summer of endless clear skies for oh, about 4 straight months. Last summer was oddly plagued by a lot of nighttime monsoon debris. :(

EDIT: Ivo if the largeui doesn't crash out on any of the development boxes, is there any kind of monitor I can run in W10 that would be useful?
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Thank you all for all your help! :obscene-drinkingcheers: I tracked problem down to a text-string bug regression that happened between 551 and 552.
The latest version 554.1 should work (hopefully) reliably now.

Any further issues, do let me know!
Ivo Jager
StarTools creator and astronomy enthusiast
happy-kat

Post by happy-kat »

Thank you IVO that release worked great for me no crash with large ui true.

Though on my PC I did not get mask to crash using auto with 552 both exe files tried with ui_large=true and hidpi=true either both or just ui_large=true did not cause a crash in 552 for me W11
Dereksc

Post by Dereksc »

admin wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 1:23 am Thank you all for all your help! :obscene-drinkingcheers: I tracked problem down to a text-string bug regression that happened between 551 and 552.
The latest version 554.1 should work (hopefully) reliably now.

Any further issues, do let me know!
Thanks Ivo. Thant fixed my issue on Linux. I don't have to squint anymore :lol:
I'm glad we could fix this before Beta/final release and I'm glad my machine was not the culprit.

Regards
Derek
dx_ron

Post by dx_ron »

I doubt this is new to 1.9, but this is the most active thread.

I was working on an image and it did not turn out they way I wanted, so I went back and reloaded (I had binned partway through, and Restore does not return to the original scale as far as I know - thus reloading rather than restoring). In the process, I inadvertently skipped Wipe, which I did not realize until arriving at the Color module. I wonder if a "Did you *really* intend to skip Wipe?" message might be added to other modules?
Mike in Rancho

Post by Mike in Rancho »

dx_ron wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 10:56 pm I doubt this is new to 1.9, but this is the most active thread.

I was working on an image and it did not turn out they way I wanted, so I went back and reloaded (I had binned partway through, and Restore does not return to the original scale as far as I know - thus reloading rather than restoring). In the process, I inadvertently skipped Wipe, which I did not realize until arriving at the Color module. I wonder if a "Did you *really* intend to skip Wipe?" message might be added to other modules?
Seems reasonable, though a repetitive module-entry nag window might get irritating for any rare occasion someone has intentionally skipped wipe, unless it can have a one-time-only counter on it.

Maybe the Wipe button just displays as day-glo orange until you've done a Wipe and keep? ;)
dx_ron

Post by dx_ron »

So I think something quite different actually happened. I was working with the same data again, opened from scratch. I definitely used Wipe, but when I got to Color it gave the warning pop-up again.

One possibility is that I used Shrink before Color instead of after, in a (largely failed) attempt to hide the ringing defect in the saturated stars.
hixx

Post by hixx »

Hi Ron,
as Shrink works with color data, You should use Color module first to include color information in the image and avoid such error

Clear skies!
Jochen
alacant

Post by alacant »

alacant wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 12:37 pm 1.9.551 Ubuntu 22.04 i5 8Gb

SVDecon sampling takes -quite a bit- longer than previous versions and you can''t 'mouse ahead'; you have to wait for the star to be selected before moving on.
Anyone?
Hi Ivo, everyone
All well again in 544.1
Cheers,
Steve
jhart

Post by jhart »

FYI, version 1.9.554.1 alpha will not open on my MacBook Pro with the M1 processor.