StarTools 1.9 Beta

General discussion about StarTools.
Mike in Rancho

Re: StarTools 1.9 Beta

Post by Mike in Rancho »

I think this has been here a little while, but I usually don't run across it much as I tend to just accept preset buttons --

In Bin, there is unusual and erratic behavior of the image sizing slider. This affects use of the side +/- buttons whether clicked or hovered and mouse wheeled, as well as mouse wheeling within the slider itself. Clicking directly in the slider sort of works but only in certain locations while other locations remain nonfunctional (50% seems a dividing line).

However, if one clicks a preset button up top (doesn't seem to matter which one I think), then the normal slider functionality seems to return.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Mike in Rancho wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2023 8:19 pm I think this has been here a little while, but I usually don't run across it much as I tend to just accept preset buttons --

In Bin, there is unusual and erratic behavior of the image sizing slider. This affects use of the side +/- buttons whether clicked or hovered and mouse wheeled, as well as mouse wheeling within the slider itself. Clicking directly in the slider sort of works but only in certain locations while other locations remain nonfunctional (50% seems a dividing line).

However, if one clicks a preset button up top (doesn't seem to matter which one I think), then the normal slider functionality seems to return.
Hi Mike,

I think this is expected behavior, and should only happen if you have chosen an integer binning mode. In that case, there are only specific "sweet spot" percentages that allow for an integer factor bin. Is that what's happening?
Ivo Jager
StarTools creator and astronomy enthusiast
Mike in Rancho

Post by Mike in Rancho »

admin wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 12:53 am Hi Mike,

I think this is expected behavior, and should only happen if you have chosen an integer binning mode. In that case, there are only specific "sweet spot" percentages that allow for an integer factor bin. Is that what's happening?
Hi Ivo.

I'll give a qualified -- aha! This starts to explain things. And I feel pretty dumb since I should have been able to test this out. :oops:

But I also have to admit I don't really understand what the integer/fractional stuff means. I figured something to do with the way pixels are being downsampled... :confusion-shrug: And maybe that is still true, but certain of the algorithms only work at various set percentages.

I think the integer mean now being the default upon module entry threw me off, seemingly being unable to use the slider region in my usual fashion.

Ok, with all that out of the way, I'm still not sure things couldn't be cleaner here. :think:

If I set Integer Mean, the -/+ buttons are still dead, and hover-and-use-mouse-wheel within the slider is also dead (mostly, explanation to come). The delay timer pops up for a second and goes away, but nothing happens. I can only change things by clicking within the slider, where it selects the sweet spot that I am closest to. But, down at the low end of the scale - 11.11%, 12.50%, and 14.28%, hover-and-use-mouse-wheel suddenly does work, but only between those three sweet-spot settings. +/- still doesn't. After 14.28% if you try to however-and-mouse-wheel up to the next sweet spot - which appears to be 16.66%, you can't. The delay spinner churns for a few seconds and then things just stay put.

The same is true for Integer Median, though that seems to spin longer before completion as I suppose it is a more intensive set of calculations. And I believe Integer Mean 50% Outlier is similar.

It's possible I still don't understand this and it is working correctly? But it seems to me that hover-mouse-wheel inside the slider bar (which works pretty much everywhere else in ST) might be cool if it just moved up and down amongst all the known permitted Integer sweet spots, instead of just the lowest three. Likewise, clicking (or again, hover-mouse-wheel) the +/- buttons at the end could also iterate up and down amongst said sweet spots.

:?

As an added bonus, it would also eliminate any "hey why isn't the mouse working, it this a bug?" questions. :D
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Mike in Rancho wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 5:56 am
admin wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 12:53 am Hi Mike,

Hi Ivo.

I'll give a qualified -- aha! This starts to explain things. And I feel pretty dumb since I should have been able to test this out. :oops:

But I also have to admit I don't really understand what the integer/fractional stuff means. I figured something to do with the way pixels are being downsampled... :confusion-shrug: And maybe that is still true, but certain of the algorithms only work at various set percentages.

I think the integer mean now being the default upon module entry threw me off, seemingly being unable to use the slider region in my usual fashion.

Ok, with all that out of the way, I'm still not sure things couldn't be cleaner here. :think:

If I set Integer Mean, the -/+ buttons are still dead, and hover-and-use-mouse-wheel within the slider is also dead (mostly, explanation to come). The delay timer pops up for a second and goes away, but nothing happens. I can only change things by clicking within the slider, where it selects the sweet spot that I am closest to. But, down at the low end of the scale - 11.11%, 12.50%, and 14.28%, hover-and-use-mouse-wheel suddenly does work, but only between those three sweet-spot settings. +/- still doesn't. After 14.28% if you try to however-and-mouse-wheel up to the next sweet spot - which appears to be 16.66%, you can't. The delay spinner churns for a few seconds and then things just stay put.

The same is true for Integer Median, though that seems to spin longer before completion as I suppose it is a more intensive set of calculations. And I believe Integer Mean 50% Outlier is similar.

It's possible I still don't understand this and it is working correctly? But it seems to me that hover-mouse-wheel inside the slider bar (which works pretty much everywhere else in ST) might be cool if it just moved up and down amongst all the known permitted Integer sweet spots, instead of just the lowest three. Likewise, clicking (or again, hover-mouse-wheel) the +/- buttons at the end could also iterate up and down amongst said sweet spots.

:?

As an added bonus, it would also eliminate any "hey why isn't the mouse working, it this a bug?" questions. :D
Hmmm... Yeah. That's not exactly intuitive. Will fix!
Ivo Jager
Mike in Rancho

Post by Mike in Rancho »

admin wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 6:52 am Hmmm... Yeah. That's not exactly intuitive. Will fix!
Thanks, Ivo. :thumbsup:

Not a priority of course, especially now that I (and hopefully others?) have a bit better understanding of what Bin is wanting to do for us here.

Just something for the list of UI tweaks on the path to the final 1.9.
alacant

Post by alacant »

ubuntu 22.04
Hi Ivo, everyone

3 minor issues:
- OptiDev: no pre/post tweak toggle on OptiDev (can't see what it was like before we applied ROI or any of the sliders)
- Colour: 'After' toggles to 'After'
(- zenity: the file window opens behind the st window. If you're full screen, you can't see it. EDIT solved: zenity also needs wmctrl for this)

Cheers,
Steve
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Mike in Rancho wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 6:46 am
admin wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 6:52 am Hmmm... Yeah. That's not exactly intuitive. Will fix!
Thanks, Ivo. :thumbsup:

Not a priority of course, especially now that I (and hopefully others?) have a bit better understanding of what Bin is wanting to do for us here.

Just something for the list of UI tweaks on the path to the final 1.9.
Now fixed in 1.9.559. Sorry for the delay. Job-that-pays-the-bills is just nuts.
Ivo Jager
Mike in Rancho

Post by Mike in Rancho »

admin wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 2:46 am Now fixed in 1.9.559. Sorry for the delay. Job-that-pays-the-bills is just nuts.
Cool deal. :D

Pretty slick functionality in that module now.
alacant

Post by alacant »

Hi everyone
1.9.588b (latest I could find)
ubuntu 22.04.3

Black specks in the centre of bright stars after HDR.
Any ideas?
p1.png
p1.png (465.85 KiB) Viewed 110850 times
fits:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1LsHCRs ... drive_link
decay

Post by decay »

Hi Steve, I tried latest ST 1.8 and with that version the effect indeed seems to be much weaker. :think: Using version 1.9 you can try to mitigate with large Context Size (1) and/or decreased Shadow Details (2):
2023-10-03 13_27_04-StarTools.jpg
2023-10-03 13_27_04-StarTools.jpg (78.49 KiB) Viewed 110721 times
2023-10-03 13_28_10-(2) StarTools - Post a reply – Mozilla Firefox.jpg
2023-10-03 13_28_10-(2) StarTools - Post a reply – Mozilla Firefox.jpg (86.01 KiB) Viewed 110721 times
Having a look at your stars it seems that there's some kind of overshooting, which is probably pronounced by HDR:
2023-10-03 13_08_39-StarTools.jpg
2023-10-03 13_08_39-StarTools.jpg (18.53 KiB) Viewed 110721 times
Maybe a problem related to stacking?

Best regards, Dietmar.