p2.jpg
p2.jpg (27.55 KiB) Viewed 23564 times
Happens after HDR

Full image here:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/HE5hJ16KaZNcvEB48

Any ideas/workarounds?
TIA,
Steve

**EDIT: It looks like it's present after the first OptiDev, just not as pronounced. HDR makes it more visible.
Stefan B

Re: StarTools 1.9 Beta

Post by Stefan B »

Hi Steve,

dunno where it comes from, but as a workaround you can try to undo the damage in the affected stars by selecting them in mask and use the 'undo fg' in the Layer module. Or blur them in the Layer module (which also can be done with an already finished image).

BTW: This appears to be a stars only image, i.e. only clusters etc but no nebulosity. Is HDR of any value here?

Regards
Stefan
decay

Post by decay »

Hi Steve & Stefan,

I just thought I had some kind of déjà vu :lol: . You reported this issue before, Steve:
viewtopic.php?p=14916#p14916

I’m still wondering, if this is an ST related problem or if it lies within your data set? Dunno. :confusion-shrug: No one else reported this. But if someone else encountered this, he may speak now … or remain silent forever. :mrgreen:

Best regards, Dietmar.

P.S.: @all and BTW: Ivo released a new beta version three days ago ...
alacant

Post by alacant »

decay wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 3:38 pm Hi Steve & Stefan,

I just thought I had some kind of déjà vu :lol: . You reported this issue before, Steve:
viewtopic.php?p=14916#p14916

I’m still wondering, if this is an ST related problem or if it lies within your data set? Dunno. :confusion-shrug: No one else reported this. But if someone else encountered this, he may speak now … or remain silent forever. :mrgreen:

Best regards, Dietmar.

P.S.: @all and BTW: Ivo released a new beta version three days ago ...
Ooops, yes. I'd forgotten the cure; larger HDR size and decrease the shadows.
Please accept my apolofgies for the noise.
Steve
decay

Post by decay »

alacant wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 4:22 pm Please accept my apolofgies for the noise.
Absolutely not necessary, Steve. That’s what this forum is for. No? And sometimes a bit of noise is helpful to keep things alive. ;)

Dietmar.
Mike in Rancho

Post by Mike in Rancho »

decay wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 3:38 pm P.S.: @all and BTW: Ivo released a new beta version three days ago ...
Ooh, thanks. I had recently checked the downloads page too. But that must have been four days ago. ;)

alacant wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 1:18 pm **EDIT: It looks like it's present after the first OptiDev, just not as pronounced. HDR makes it more visible.
Yes I think HDR can maybe cook the cores of stars in some settings, but I think you are also right about OptiDev possibly setting things up. :think:

I can't find it, but I remember graphing out a difference between bright stars in OptiDev and FilmDev, and that OptiDev could make a bit of a bright ring surrounding a darker flat-topped area, maybe sometimes with a spike in the middle. Possibly when we were discussing SVD ringing...

Depending on your particular star and if it is saturated, I wonder if altering IFD in your OptiDev would help with that? And if so maybe HDR would be less finicky about what's there.

I've actually been meaning to start a question on OptiDev/AutoDev, in particular what is meant by "optimal" in terms of how it wants to allocate dynamic range(s), and doubly particular how it handles saturated star cores. It almost seems like it gets thrown for a loop in those cases and creates an "oddly stretched" star. Or maybe it's just me seeing things again. :confusion-shrug:
alacant

Post by alacant »

Stefan B wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 3:06 pm Hi Steve,

dunno where it comes from, but as a workaround you can try to undo the damage in the affected stars by selecting them in mask and use the 'undo fg' in the Layer module. Or blur them in the Layer module (which also can be done with an already finished image).

BTW: This appears to be a stars only image, i.e. only clusters etc but no nebulosity. Is HDR of any value here?

Regards
Stefan
Hi and thanks for the reply.
I think HDR helps with the stars. In the extreme case, a globular cluster responds well to HDR, albeit with a small context size of say 3px.
It would be nice to be able to choose any value for context without the black cores, but I'm OK with the workarounds too.
Cheers,
Steve