Starsynth Issue

Bugs, glitches and unexpected behaviour.
Rkonrad

Starsynth Issue

Post by Rkonrad »

Upon masking a bright star(s). The starsynth module creates odd boxes around the brighter stars. I am using the reflector preset. Thanks. Picture attached.

Cheers Richard
Attachments
starsynth-veil.jpg
starsynth-veil.jpg (232.85 KiB) Viewed 14682 times
Mike in Rancho

Re: Starsynth Issue

Post by Mike in Rancho »

Hi Richard,

First, awesome Veil! :bow-yellow:

Interestingly, Synth was part of a recent discussion, and Ivo noted that the FOV specs on the second page are probably the most important settings. I believe this is to properly size the PSF model. The bright squares could be because there is not enough space to spread out the expected energy? Or something like that. Off the top of my head that was explained by Ivo also, but I would have to go find the thread it was in.

I see based on your screen that you are showing about half of your image, so I presume you have the entire East Veil, or nearly so. As such, I think the default dimensions you have there of 58' x 38' might not be enough. If you know or can calculate/estimate your field of view here to change that slider, might be worth a try to see how the synth stars react.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Mike in Rancho wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 6:31 am Ivo noted that the FOV specs on the second page are probably the most important settings. I believe this is to properly size the PSF model. The bright squares could be because there is not enough space to spread out the expected energy?
This is spot-on! Awesome seeing you grok PSFs so quickly. :bow-yellow:

@Rkonrad The Synth module does not "paint" on spikes but actually physically models them - this requires a truthful ballpark estimate of your gear (aperture and focal length) and the image FOV. Do this and the PSFs will be able to "get rid" of their energy properly.

Also, as a courtesy, and if/when appropriate, please consider letting your audience know that the diffraction patterns were altered. :thumbsup:
Ivo Jager
StarTools creator and astronomy enthusiast
Rkonrad

Post by Rkonrad »

Thanks for the replies. I will try to increase the fov specs when I get back to this image - and thanks for the praise. I will come back to this image and post the final result.

Cheers. Richard