Flip not recorded in log

Bugs, glitches and unexpected behaviour.
LuckyEddie

Flip not recorded in log

Post by LuckyEddie »

As per subject title, it appears that the flip action is not recorded in StarTools.log
Therefore if this is used early on in the workflow then subsequent actions that use either a ROI or mask can not be correctly rerun by ST Replay.
I often use flip as ST seems to read the .fits produced by Siril upside down - I don't know if that's a Siril or ST issue.
admin
Site Admin

Re: Flip not recorded in log

Post by admin »

LuckyEddie wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 8:20 pm As per subject title, it appears that the flip action is not recorded in StarTools.log
Therefore if this is used early on in the workflow then subsequent actions that use either a ROI or mask can not be correctly rerun by ST Replay.
Thank you for reporting this. I will add this for 1.9.
I often use flip as ST seems to read the .fits produced by Siril upside down - I don't know if that's a Siril or ST issue.
Siril is technically doing it right (the FITS specification specifies the data is stored flipped), though a number of applications (e.g. Deep Sky Stacker) don't store FITS files like this and store data like any other image format. As a post-processing app trying to import the resulting data, you're sort of "damned if you do, damned if you don't". And this is even less of clear-cut issue, given the differences in optical trains that may mirror/flip the image anyway.
Ivo Jager
StarTools creator and astronomy enthusiast
LuckyEddie

Re: Flip not recorded in log

Post by LuckyEddie »

Thanks Ivo