a number os isues

Bugs, glitches and unexpected behaviour.
Rkonrad

a number os isues

Post by Rkonrad »

I have a few observations to report:

1. In version 8 and 9 (maybe 7 too), in the sharpening module, the "before" is grayed out when using the default 300%. 299 or 301 enables it.

2. In version 9, clicking on the star synth modules causes the programme to crash

3. If using on a slow, old computer, instead of a slowdown in processing speed the programme will crash (losing everything!). This happends with any computer I've used.

Thanks and thanks for a great programme!

Richard
decay

Re: a number os isues

Post by decay »

Hi Richard,

this is what I can contribute - ad 3.: Most times these crashes occur due to insufficient virtual memory (settings). Please have a look at this FAQ (which was the solution in my case some time ago):
https://www.startools.org/downloads/tec ... ic-crashes

But yes, instead of slowing down or at least throwing alerts ST crashes silently. And yes, that might be annoying :cry: . What I do (or did) in such cases is to use Guy's incredible ST Replay tool in order to simply replay the session up to that point:
https://www.startools.org/links--tutori ... s/streplay

And then at this point - well - try to do something different. For me, most times this happened with SVDecon and often it was sufficient to set fewer samples or to do this more slowly for example.

But I'm quite sure the above mentioned virtual memory settings will solve your issues. Good luck!

Best regards, Dietmar.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi Richard,

Thank you for your report.
Rkonrad wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 4:32 pm 1. In version 8 and 9 (maybe 7 too), in the sharpening module, the "before" is grayed out when using the default 300%. 299 or 301 enables it.
I can indeed replicate this if no new mask is generated. This indeed needs fixing.
2. In version 9, clicking on the star synth modules causes the programme to crash
I am unable to replicate this. What OS are you running?
3. If using on a slow, old computer, instead of a slowdown in processing speed the programme will crash (losing everything!). This happends with any computer I've used.
Increasing virtual memory as suggested by @decay may indeed fix this, unless this is caused by and underpowered GPU running out of memory/resources. In that case please use the non-GPU accelerated version.
Ivo Jager
StarTools creator and astronomy enthusiast
Rkonrad

Post by Rkonrad »

Thanks Ivo,

I am using Ubuntu LXDE and Mint Cinnamon on Linux. So this does not happen with you? For me every time. Never with version 8.

Thanks again.

Richard
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Rkonrad wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 5:53 pm Thanks Ivo,

I am using Ubuntu LXDE and Mint Cinnamon on Linux. So this does not happen with you? For me every time. Never with version 8.

Thanks again.

Richard
I'm using Mint MATE here. Are you running the latest 1.9 beta? There was a bug some versions ago that indeed caused a crash in the Synth module (fixed in 1.9.544 Public Alpha 7).

What does the 'clinfo' command output?
Ivo Jager
Rkonrad

Post by Rkonrad »

Thanks Dietmar!

Wow. It's like I have a new computer. I tested it by processing some data at full resolution on a 15 year old laptop. Never crashed. Thanks

Richard
Rkonrad

Post by Rkonrad »

Hi Ivo,

I've been using the version 563 now upgraded to 565. I'll let you know when I next try the synth module in my flow. I installed swapspace as advised and it make the world of difference!

Richard
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Perfect :) :thumbsup:
Ivo Jager
decay

Post by decay »

Rkonrad wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 4:17 pm It's like I have a new computer.
:thumbsup:

I like the fact that you you're not throwing away old hardware and that you are running Linux. In the past I always assembled my PCs by myself and installed Linux on them. The only reason that I'm currently using Windows is because it came pre-installed on the notebook I bought. Yes - and now? Running the 'last Windows till the end of time' 10 it does not meet the requirements to upgrade to version 11 :evil: . A bad joke. I hope that when Windows 10 reaches EOL I will be able to install Linux on it.

Dietmar.