ST running in VM shows constantly high CPU load

Bugs, glitches and unexpected behaviour.
decay

ST running in VM shows constantly high CPU load

Post by decay »

Hi Ivo,

not sure if it’s of any relevance, I just wanted to report:

As I wanted to do a side-by-side comparison of SVDevon version 1.8 and 1.9, I tried to run one ST instance on a virtual Linux machine. But that doesn’t seem to work. ST starts up, but it constantly eats up about 20% of CPU load, right after start, while doing nothing (ST itself idle / no image loaded). I’ve no idea, what’s going on there, maybe a problem with (failing) memory allocation?

2022-12-12 07_19_40-Task-Manager.jpg
2022-12-12 07_19_40-Task-Manager.jpg (119.13 KiB) Viewed 12764 times

What you can see: Oracle VirtualBox running Linux Mint on my Windows notebook. ST 9 running in that Linux VM. ‘Top’ is showing that ST uses 21% CPU load. Windows Task-Manager is shown as window on top.

But as said, that’s probably irrelevant as it usually doesn’t make any sense to run ST inside of a VM ...

Best regards, Dietmar.
admin
Site Admin

Re: ST running in VM shows constantly high CPU load

Post by admin »

Hi Dietmar,

Some usage by the UI thread (and any OS functions that are spawned by it such as file dialogs) is expected, which all happens on a single thread.
How many cores did you allocate to the VM?
Ivo Jager
StarTools creator and astronomy enthusiast
decay

Re: ST running in VM shows constantly high CPU load

Post by decay »

admin wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 12:07 am How many cores did you allocate to the VM?
Thanks Ivo! :) It was only one lonely single CPU core and now with two it works fine! :thumbsup:
admin wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 12:07 am Some usage by the UI thread (and any OS functions that are spawned by it such as file dialogs) is expected
It was much more than that - one of the 4 'physical' cores was completely busy and the fan raised up. Something seems to go wrong if only one core is available. But I learned that the last single core desktop CPU was produced in 2013, so this discussion is just waste of time ;)

Thanks again, Dietmar.