Tone Mapping

Requests for new features and wish-list items.
Russ.Carpenter

Tone Mapping

Post by Russ.Carpenter »

I almost hesitate to post a feature request because I'm so impressed with StarTool's evolution. Among many recent innovations, I admire the color module's ability to do narrowband tone mapping in the "matrix" function.

Would it be possible to add a "custom" feature to tone mapping? As an example of what I mean, I've attached screen captures of a tool I've used in PixInsight to map two channel and three channel narrowband images. Although PixInsight is often needlessly obtuse and complex, in this case the PixelMath approach is simple and effective.

If this is a bad idea, please don't hesitate to say so!

Russ
Attachments
Screen Shot 2020-10-19 at 8.16.43 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-10-19 at 8.16.43 PM.png (90.88 KiB) Viewed 2547 times
Screen Shot 2020-10-19 at 8.14.39 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-10-19 at 8.14.39 PM.png (94.96 KiB) Viewed 2547 times
admin
Site Admin

Re: Tone Mapping

Post by admin »

Definitely not a bad idea!
For now though, are there any blends/combinations you are missing?
Ivo Jager
StarTools creator and astronomy enthusiast
Russ.Carpenter

Post by Russ.Carpenter »

Hi Ivo,

The matrix does include a sizable variety of tone mapping blends, and so far I've been able to choose the blend that's closest to my target and then to tweak the RGB bias sliders. The custom feature would be handy for repeatable results.

One small thought. There are a lot of targets that have good Ha and OIII signals, but nothing, or almost nothing, in SII. For those targets, it makes sense to image only Ha and OIII. Therefore, it might be useful to include some additional bicolor tone mapping options in the matrix.

One other small thought. One of the best aspects of narrowband imaging is that there is such a wide variety of palettes with which to experiment. Yet, most imagers are stuck on the Hubble palette, or small variations of HOO. Maybe your matrix will help imagers get out of the rut.

Thanks!

Russ
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Do let me know if you come across any popular or useful mappings for either SHO or HOO not currently implemented!
Ivo Jager
StarTools creator and astronomy enthusiast