New version available advertising

Requests for new features and wish-list items.
mgutierrez

New version available advertising

Post by mgutierrez »

Hi,

I think it would be useful if Startools shows a banner when a new version (stable and/or alpha) is available. I normally use alpha versions and from time to time I go to startools web site to check if there is a newer version.

Thanks!
5SmallHokies

Re: New version available advertising

Post by 5SmallHokies »

I would like to support this feature as well. A simple button in the 'about' screen labeled 'check for updates' that opens the download site in the browser would be helpful since it makes it one click.

Love the software. It has done wonders with my post processing. Hardest thing to get right is colors for me. My reds just seem to turn out pink and not as deep/rich.
Aaron

Lots of stuff to see a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away....
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi all,

There is actually a "Notifications" button under "Support". This will let you switch on browser notifications from startools.org.
Right now, the problem is actually me. :oops: I keep forgetting to send out notifications when a new version is available.
Hardest thing to get right is colors for me. My reds just seem to turn out pink and not as deep/rich.
@5SmallHokies

Believe it or not, but deep reds are fairly rare in the visual spectrum, simply because most coloring comes from emissions and emissions are typically coming from Hydrogen excitation. The colors that are thus produced are a mixture of all the colors of the Balmer series; a mixture of strong red and multiple weaker blues, yielding a pink/red/purple type hue.

Deep red colors can, however,definitely be found in areas where shorter wavelengths are filtered by intervening dust particles, thus acting like a red-pass filter.
Ivo Jager
StarTools creator and astronomy enthusiast
5SmallHokies

Post by 5SmallHokies »

Thanks, Ivo. Your presentation on SGL (and comment from other viewers) triggered an issue that I need to look into. It is probably something in my DSS settings and working with my modified DSLR that is causing the hot-pink rosette nebula. I'll keep working on it and get back with you if I can't figure it out. Loving StarTools! It has definitely taken my image processing up a notch.

Cheers, :obscene-drinkingcheers:

Aaron (@5SmallHokies)
Aaron

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

5SmallHokies wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 2:48 am Thanks, Ivo. Your presentation on SGL (and comment from other viewers) triggered an issue that I need to look into. It is probably something in my DSS settings and working with my modified DSLR that is causing the hot-pink rosette nebula. I'll keep working on it and get back with you if I can't figure it out. Loving StarTools! It has definitely taken my image processing up a notch.

Cheers, :obscene-drinkingcheers:

Aaron (@5SmallHokies)
Thanks Aaron! :)
The hot pink is a common and correct visual-spectrum rendering. The Rosette is not red. I think I touched on this in the presentation; HII areas like the Rosette emit mostly emissions from the Balmer lines; red Ha combined with the blue from the other transitions, making a purple/pink.
Blending further into the mix of colors (nudging things away from red), are any O-III (teal green) emissions and any reflection nebulosity reflecting - again - blue light from nearby hot young O and B-class giants that are born in these areas and power these emissions in the first place with their intense radiation.

You will find the same color signature in other HII areas in our galaxy (M8, M16, M17, etc.) but - crucially - also outside our own galaxy. For example you should be able to spot the exact same color signature in gas knots in M31 or M33; they are the same thing just in an entirely different galaxy.

That is why respecting the coloring you captured is so important; it allows you to relate these two things.
Ivo Jager
5SmallHokies

Post by 5SmallHokies »

:bow-yellow:

Thank you for the explanation. I have definitely learned more since I got StarTools. Tried out the simulated diffraction spikes earlier and that is a very neat effect.
Aaron

hixx

Post by hixx »

Back to the "news" topic.....
Is there a way to identify new content in the other homepage sections (not forum)? Maybe a "news" page which will feature any recently updated / new content? That could be automatic, not requiring manual intervention....
clear skies,
jochen
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I just successfully broadcasted (and received in multiple browsers and smartphones) a browser notification about the 1.7 MR6 release. Anyone subscribed should receive it as well. You can subscribe through the application (Support->Notifications) or clicking the bell icon under "follow" in the footer of the website, which will open this page; click on the switch and it should turn blue.
hixx wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 6:33 am Is there a way to identify new content in the other homepage sections (not forum)? Maybe a "news" page which will feature any recently updated / new content? That could be automatic, not requiring manual intervention....
I could create some sort of reporting function in the CMS... :think:
Ivo Jager