Ability to use denoise out side of Track in 1.7

Requests for new features and wish-list items.
dcollier

Ability to use denoise out side of Track in 1.7

Post by dcollier »

I miss the ability to use de noise outside of track in 1.7. It is not something I use often. But, found it helpful in a couple of cases. Other than that I feel 1.7.XXX is a great improvement over 1.6.

-Dave
admin
Site Admin

Re: Ability to use denoise out side of Track in 1.7

Post by admin »

dcollier wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 8:15 pm I miss the ability to use de noise outside of track in 1.7. It is not something I use often. But, found it helpful in a couple of cases. Other than that I feel 1.7.XXX is a great improvement over 1.6.

-Dave
Hi Dave,

If you absolutely need to use Denoise, you can simply turn on Tracking, indicate the image is non-linear, have it take into account the sRGB stretch and then Turn tracking off again and do your noise reduction. While perhaps a few more clicks than you are used to, this procedure at least takes into the account the non-linear stretch that the image must have undergone to make it suitable for screen rendering.

Hope this helps!
Ivo Jager
StarTools creator and astronomy enthusiast
dcollier

Post by dcollier »

Thanks, Ivo.
nyairman

Post by nyairman »

I also miss the separate "denoise" module. The ability to mask specific areas of the image and apply denoise to that part is something I used often. Maybe you folks can bring that ability back. I am finding myself loading V1.6 to use the denoise module, saving that image, then going back to V1.7 to complete the image.
Greg
happy-kat

Post by happy-kat »

I have got into the habit of turning tracking on or off as needed to facilitate denoise if I need it outside of regular workflow.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

nyairman wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 7:36 pm The ability to mask specific areas of the image and apply denoise to that part is something I used often.
Hi,

You can still do that by using the Layer module (in a more sophisticated fashion as a matter of fact!). In denoise, make sure that noise grain is no longer objectionable anywhere - even if too much detail is removed in other places. After that, simply launch the Layer module and hit Undo->Bg. This puts the non-denoised image (from the Undo buffer) in the background layer. Now you can use the Mask editor to switch between background and foreground as you see fit.
Crucially, you can now also use luminance mask ("Brightness Masks"), as found in many "standard" (non-Tracked) denoise routines in other software.This will let you approximate the non-linear stretch's influence on noise grain a bit better (but of course no where near as accurate as proper Tracking).
Hope this helps!
Ivo Jager
StarTools creator and astronomy enthusiast
nyairman

Post by nyairman »

Thanks for this Ivo!
Greg