Big request - stacking

Requests for new features and wish-list items.
BrendanC

Big request - stacking

Post by BrendanC »

I know this is a HUGE request... but would Ivo ever consider including a stacking feature in StarTools?

It would just be so great to be able to do everything in the one package, like Pixinsight. And, given the quality of StarTools, it would probably be better than DSS, APP, Pixinsight... all of them.

Just an idea!
Not so much boldly going as randomly stumbling where plenty of people have been before
admin
Site Admin

Re: Big request - stacking

Post by admin »

Thank you Brendan,

This request indeed, comes up quite often.

The major issue is that stacking/pre-processing is an enormous time and resources sink, for relatively little community gain. This area of signal processing is rather stagnant in terms of new developments or scope for innovation. But at the same time it requires constant maintenance (new cameras, formats, new operating systems, new libraries) and support.

There are a vast number of competent stacking solutions out there already (paid and free), all roughly producing the same quality of results (which goes to the point of there being little room for innovation, and there not being too much to gain for the AP community at large by having yet another stacking solution available).

As a lone developer, I have to pick my battles and play to my personal/professional strengths. Post-processing is, by far, the fastest moving field. It has also been the area where there is much to gain for the AP community at large (the main reason I started StarTools). Even now, more than 10 years on(!), signal post-processing in other applications, has not materially moved along - let alone kept pace! - with what is possible today. I'm working hard to keep StarTools the exception to that rule.

Thank you for being part of this! :thumbsup:
Ivo Jager
StarTools creator and astronomy enthusiast
BrendanC

Re: Big request - stacking

Post by BrendanC »

Totally understand Ivo, thank you for such a comprehensive response. :)
Not so much boldly going as randomly stumbling where plenty of people have been before