RGB accents (stars)

Requests for new features and wish-list items.
xonefs

RGB accents (stars)

Post by xonefs »

A feature to allow loading in an RGB file to add to narrowband data, mainly to somehow add star color easily
admin
Site Admin

Re: RGB accents (stars)

Post by admin »

xonefs wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 10:40 pm A feature to allow loading in an RGB file to add to narrowband data, mainly to somehow add star color easily
Thank you,

For a good number of reasons this would not be appropriate at the linear stage (you can, of course, use NB for luminance and RGB for chrominance, but this doesn't sound like what you're after?). However doing this in the non-linear domain using the Layer module is trivial;
  • Process NB and RGB (lightly) separately.
  • Create a star mask of the RGB stars.
  • In Layer module load NB as background, RGB as foreground.
  • Choose Layer Mode 'Color of Foreground'. Adjust Mask Fuzz as needed.
Hope this helps,
Ivo Jager
StarTools creator and astronomy enthusiast
xonefs

Post by xonefs »

I can try that- I guess you have to make notes and then match your crop settings exactly when processing each?
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

xonefs wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 6:59 am I can try that- I guess you have to make notes and then match your crop settings exactly when processing each?
If done within the same session, the crop settings are carried over automatically, provided the dimensions of both stacks are the same (or you can consult the StarTools.log) for the crop settings.

Please note that, when stacking, you should always align one stack against another 'canonical' finished stack. This ensure perfect alignment of all stacks you wish to composite.
Ivo Jager
StarTools creator and astronomy enthusiast