PreTweak for AutoDev

Requests for new features and wish-list items.
alacant

PreTweak for AutoDev

Post by alacant »

Hi everyone

More a bump than anything else so...
This would be especially useful when visualising the second AutoDev ROIs.

Cheers and clear skies,
Steve
hixx

Re: PreTweak for AutoDev

Post by hixx »

Hi,
I'd support this 100% !
Also other Modules without PreTweaks yet would greatly benefit from getting one.

Cheers,
Jochen
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Thank you for reminding me of this suggestion.

I have been of the opinion that the need for A PreTweak/PostTweak button is mooted by the near-instant rendering of any changes you make.

PreTweak/PostTweak has been mostly reserved for operations that can take some time and where feedback cannot be (near) instant...
Ivo Jager
StarTools creator and astronomy enthusiast
Mike in Rancho

Post by Mike in Rancho »

I agree with Jochen that there can't be too many Pre/Post Tweak toggle buttons! :D

Even with rapid rendering, it's often nice to see the difference between two adjustments, rather than just the full before and after. Sometimes even with a tweak button you have to work fast, or in a certain way, in order to get the pre/post to show right. For me that's often things like SS dimsmall vs SS isolate where I've made a few other changes to defaults.

I think it mostly boils down to "blinking" being a great way to weigh the alternates. Which is one reason I so often want this button in the Color module.

Granted, usage in AutoDev especially with ROI's will be hard because that module works so fast, but I can see how you could get used to making it work for you. Perhaps even doubly useful there because the "before" button is so often just a linear black screen!
hixx

Post by hixx »

In mixing music we used to have some thumb rule : Once an effect becomes audible and you start to become aware of its nature, it is too much. Same seems to apply in AP: there is a thin borderline between a great improvement to the image and a "processed" look. You'll get the best result if the nature of your process is not visible, but still effective as improvement.
This is where the Pre-Post button would come into ptlay. As Mike stated, it enables blinking. So You could optimize values pretty fast by blinking between the previous value and the new one. Blink between tiny changes until a process becomes visible. Then you'd just back down a bit.
Pre/Post button would be handy for all modules which
- work with unstretched data as "Before" Signal (meaningless "Before" button)
- Long running modules(SVDecon, HDR, SuperStructure, Entropy, Denoise, NBA)
- All mandatory modules (AutoDev/FilmDev,Wipe, Color,...)
- Complicated /multi-parameter modules (Layer,...)

It would also help provide users more understanding of what a certain parameter does exactly.
Mike in Rancho

Post by Mike in Rancho »

Ha, Jochen! That's a whole lot of complicated Ivo work laid out there. :lol:

I do agree with your sentiments on the usefulness, though without it I try to find ways to make do. The only things with the more complicated and multi-parameter changes are (1) speed of rendering may "beat you" to the finish line before you've set all of them, and (2) the pre/post toggle does not also toggle back all the settings. So you have to remember what the settings for "pre" were if you want to go back to that as the final or at least the baseline for further changes.