Parameter Persistence NBAccent Page 1

Requests for new features and wish-list items.
decay

Parameter Persistence NBAccent Page 1

Post by decay »

I recently made my first steps with the NBAccent module. After going back from page 2 to page 1 the parameter settings are lost and you have to start over with the default settings (ROI is inherited from AutoDev).
I'm wondering if it would be useful if the previous settings would show up again? Or maybe it is usually not necessary to go back with a little more experience using this module?

Best regards, Dietmar.
hixx

Re: Parameter Persistence NBAccent Page 1

Post by hixx »

Hi Dietmar,
I think NBA is indeed not designed to move back and forth in the flow. I think having played around with it a bit You can almost use it blindly. In many scenarios, the ROI needs to be defined new, because the Autodev ROI is pertaining the global stretch for all of the object'd dynamic range, while NBA ROI should define the dynamic range of the details to be enhanced. So just pick a good range of details You plan to enhance with the NBA. Screen 2 lets You narrow down further and define enhancing actions in detail. I push comes to shove You can always cancel and restart NBA or Accept and Undo...

Clear Skies,
Jochen
decay

Post by decay »

Hi Jochen,

yes, I already suspected that.

I guess, I had a bad start, because my data is too poor, too weak and too noisy. And maybe there are easier targets for NBAccent than M31 to start with.

I’ve seen that you gave advice to add NB (Ha) data to M31 in some other threads. So maybe I will post what I did under ‘troubleshooting’ and it would be nice, if you (or of course, someone else) could take a quick look. (I read the documentation, forum posts and the other mentioned sources.) But I’m afraid, the problem is simply the quality of my Ha data set.

Best regards, Dietmar.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi Dietmar, Jochen,

With poor data it can indeed be tricky to get the settings on the initial screen right on the first go.
Particularly when trying to add some Ha knots to, say, galaxies, sometimes there just isn't that much Ha and the signal has to be pushed quite a bit. The latter can make noise start to poke through and an alternative stretch or even thresholding may be required. This does require some experimentation, and it is probably useful to restore some of the settings when going back and forth.

I will have a look at what can/should be restored. Thank you!
Ivo Jager
StarTools creator and astronomy enthusiast
decay

Post by decay »

Thank you, Ivo. I'm sure, this will be useful in case of poor data sets and/or for less experienced users. :)