Astro Pixel Processor work flow for use in StarTools?

Guides, tutorials, tips & tricks.
hixx

Re: Astro Pixel Processor work flow for use in StarTools?

Post by hixx »

Hi Paul,
the reason why Redo Stretch is the better choice is it will reallocate dynamic headroom which had been used by Light pollution before to the actual image. That will set the blackpoint of the image to the very bottom. The WIPE module, will then be able to adjust the background color without having an offset in the background level which would skew the color adjustment.

BTW, that is the step which had been skipped in APP tab 5) disabling the "NEUTRALIZE BACKGROUND" checkbox. The advantage to do this in ST is that tracking will be able to collect per-pixel information of the amount of this adjustment and the noise components so DENOISE modules will be more precise.

I really recommend Guy's excellent user Notes for AutoDev and WIPE modules which have gorgeous drawings that explain this process easily.
Please also check the Inoffical Manual (PDF) on StarTools homepage download section, they not only contain Ivo's online manual, but also Guys User Notes and a ton of tips hints etc I digged out the forum.

clear skies,
jochen
PaulInNorthMichigan

Post by PaulInNorthMichigan »

hixx wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 5:39 pm Hi Paul,
the reason why Redo Stretch is the better choice is it will reallocate dynamic headroom which had been used by Light pollution before to the actual image. That will set the blackpoint of the image to the very bottom. The WIPE module, will then be able to adjust the background color without having an offset in the background level which would skew the color adjustment.

BTW, that is the step which had been skipped in APP tab 5) disabling the "NEUTRALIZE BACKGROUND" checkbox. The advantage to do this in ST is that tracking will be able to collect per-pixel information of the amount of this adjustment and the noise components so DENOISE modules will be more precise.

I really recommend Guy's excellent user Notes for AutoDev and WIPE modules which have gorgeous drawings that explain this process easily.
Please also check the Inoffical Manual (PDF) on StarTools homepage download section, they not only contain Ivo's online manual, but also Guys User Notes and a ton of tips hints etc I digged out the forum.

clear skies,
jochen
Jochen,

Thanks a lot for your assistance, I've been using your APP setting recommendations and it has always brought the stars into StarTools within the color range that Ivo has recommended, as you suggest to preserve the native detail within the image.

In my short time in StarTools I have seen some promising results, yet a fair amount of discouragement as well but that would either belong in a different topic or in reading the appropriate information which perhaps Guy's User Notes details.

In APP however I have run into an issue lately that I'm hoping to get solved. I do believe that you've suggested that MBB can be used in step number 5) Normalization. The MBB would be used to assist a marriage of 180mm lens data to go with 60mm telescope data. Every time I integrate the data I get a message that I ran out of disk space (it thinks I need over 800 gig storage).

I don't know whether you can integrate different field of view images in APP with the StarTools settings. I'm assuming that you should, but I would just like to make certain.

I will certainly be looking into Guy's notes.
hixx

Post by hixx »

Hi Paul,
I didn't try stacking different optics in APP yet. You are right, MBB would blend the lightframes, as far as I know values between 10% and 20% should do the job. Do not forget to disable "Same Camera and Optics" in 4) REGISTER. You might want to check the hover-over notes in tab 4) and also search the APP forum for more help, I recall a lot of good instruction buried in the forum.

clear skies,
jochen
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Thanks all - I now added APP-specific instructions to the links & tutorials section! :bow-yellow:
Ivo Jager
StarTools creator and astronomy enthusiast
PaulInNorthMichigan

Post by PaulInNorthMichigan »

admin wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 1:36 am Thanks all - I now added APP-specific instructions to the links & tutorials section! :bow-yellow:
Excellent! This will be very helpful.