Host Multiplatform Message Startools V1.5

Questions and answers about problems with the software, modules or functionality.
Startrek

Host Multiplatform Message Startools V1.5

Post by Startrek »

I recently set up Startools v1.5 and every time I open it I get a message box titled “Host Multiplatform Message” with the following description - Could not modify tracking data.Please make sure Startools has read/write permission for the folder you are running the application from.
Note : I still have version 1.4 available to use if I choose to go back to using that at some stage
Any ideas how to remove this message as it’s difficult to delete to start using Startools v1.5
Thanks in advance
admin
Site Admin

Re: Host Multiplatform Message Startools V1.5

Post by admin »

Hi,

It's pretty much what the message says; something is preventing StarTools from writing its tracking data to disk.
If you are running StarTools on Windows, make sure the folder you are launching StarTools from has read/write access enabled (the "Program Files" folder on more recent versions of Windows do not by default).
If this is happening on macOS or Linux, this is a bigger problem as the /tmp folder (which is used on those systems instead) should be accessible system wide for programs to use.

Does this yield any clues?
Ivo Jager
StarTools creator and astronomy enthusiast
Startrek

Post by Startrek »

Ivo
Thanks for the suggestions and information
Found the issue, I had an .exe file extension on the V1.5 file name
As soon as it was removed , Version 1.5 opened without the message and I processed some old data of M42
It processed and tracked perfectly
Now to spend some time and learn the changes and additions in V 1.5
Regards
Startrek
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Startrek wrote:Ivo
Thanks for the suggestions and information
Found the issue, I had an .exe file extension on the V1.5 file name
As soon as it was removed , Version 1.5 opened without the message and I processed some old data of M42
It processed and tracked perfectly
Now to spend some time and learn the changes and additions in V 1.5
Regards
Startrek
That's great to hear!
Be sure to check out the 1.6 beta as well; it comes with some nice new features and optimisations.
Clear skies!
Ivo Jager
trobbet

Post by trobbet »

I'm having the same issue, but after deleting the exe from the file it asks me "how do you want to open this file?" I have no idea what to use. it gives me some choices, none makes any sense to me. Sorry but I'm not that computer savvy. I have had ST's for years and every time I want to update to a new version, its a pain. Just paid to renew my license and really want to just use this. Thanks!
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

trobbet wrote:I'm having the same issue, but after deleting the exe from the file it asks me "how do you want to open this file?" I have no idea what to use. it gives me some choices, none makes any sense to me. Sorry but I'm not that computer savvy. I have had ST's for years and every time I want to update to a new version, its a pain. Just paid to renew my license and really want to just use this. Thanks!
Hi,

You should be able to just unzip the the ZIP file in its entirety (e.g. all files contained in the ZIP file) and it should just work (quick tutorial here).
If you remove .exe extension from an executable, Windows will no longer know it is an executable and will - rightfully - ask "how do you want to open this file?"
Ivo Jager
trobbet

Post by trobbet »

Thank you so much for the quick reply. Originally, I did unzip the file which gives me StarTools- Windows64.exe which when I click on that I get the same "Host Multiplatform Message" that the original poster received. thats why I tried what he suggested. So now i followed the instructions you sent several times, but I always end up with the message above, and cannot open ST 1.5. ;) I'm afraid I'm still stuck.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

trobbet wrote:Thank you so much for the quick reply. Originally, I did unzip the file which gives me StarTools- Windows64.exe which when I click on that I get the same "Host Multiplatform Message" that the original poster received. thats why I tried what he suggested. So now i followed the instructions you sent several times, but I always end up with the message above, and cannot open ST 1.5. ;) I'm afraid I'm still stuck.
Hmmm... Can you provide a screenshot of the folder you unzipped to that now contains the StarTools-Windows64.exe file, the resources file, CHANGELOG file, EULA file, etc?
Thank you!
Ivo Jager
trobbet

Post by trobbet »

this should be the screenshot.
Thanks
Attachments
Screenshot (1).png
Screenshot (1).png (195.04 KiB) Viewed 6813 times
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Thank you,

It appears you are extracting the ZIP in-place in a temporary, read-only folder (which can also be deleted at any moment).
If you follow the tutorial I linked to above, there should be an option to click a "Browse" button which will allow you to specify a location to extract the ZIP contents to.
Try extracting it to your Desktop, for example.
Ivo Jager