1.6.400 crashes on win10 during deconvolution

Questions and answers about problems with the software, modules or functionality.
tango13

1.6.400 crashes on win10 during deconvolution

Post by tango13 »

Hi there,

the subject says it all, it already happened a couple of times now.
When I try to select a star for deconvolution Startools kind of freezes and then crashes without any further notice.
In the log I don't see any (apparently) valuable information, it stops at the previous module.

Can I make any further test or supply you with more info?

Thank you.
Piero
admin
Site Admin

Re: 1.6.400 crashes on win10 during deconvolution

Post by admin »

Hi Piero,

Many thanks for reporting this!
Is this something you can replicate consistently? If so, can you give exact steps and provide a dataset where it is reproducible?
By "without further notice", do you mean the application just quits without any further messages/popups?
How big is the dataset (X * Y resolution) you are trying to process? Could you give me the specs of your system? (RAM, CPU, disk space free)
Is it overclocked at all? Decon in StarTools is the most extreme stability tester I know of. I have used it to stabilise overclocked systems where other tools failed to show instabilities... :twisted:
Thank you!

Ivo
Ivo Jager
StarTools creator and astronomy enthusiast
tango13

Post by tango13 »

Hi Ivo,

I'll try to see if I can replicate the problem consistently and then eventually I'll send you the steps and a dataset.
Yes, by "without further notice" I mean the application window just closes with no messages or popups. Should I try to launch it from a terminal windows and see if any possible useful info shows up?
The fits come from an ASI294MC, so the max resolution is 4144x2822 (possibly cropped a little, sometimes).
I have an i5-4460 Intel CPU @ 3.2 GHz, no overclock, 8 GB RAM, free disk space 523 GB.
I'll let you know if I can gather more info.
Thanks a lot for now!

Ciao,
Piero
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hmmm... very odd.
tango13 wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 7:04 pm I'll try to see if I can replicate the problem consistently and then eventually I'll send you the steps and a dataset.
It would be much appreciated!
Yes, by "without further notice" I mean the application window just closes with no messages or popups. Should I try to launch it from a terminal windows and see if any possible useful info shows up?
This may indeed yield something in the terminal.

How much virtual memory is being allocated? (see here on how to check/change this)
Ivo Jager
StarTools creator and astronomy enthusiast